• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

to sue or not to sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

h-town

What is the name of your state? texas

ALawyer or anyone else,

quick question. i am a police officer, driving police car, dwi driver ran light and totalled out both cars, i was life flighted but no broken bones, badly cut and scarred elbow, other cuts and bruises that will heal with therapy, other driver's insurance policy has limit of $20,000, driver is small business owner but unsure of any assets especially after arrest of dwi, my total bills will be around $13,000. question is should i settle with ins co for the $20k, and pay worker comp back for medical and keep about $7k? or, should i hire an attorney and try to sue for more than the $20k limit not knowing if i can collect from driver's assets and eventially having to pay the attorney and maybe ending up with less than the $7k?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

How often do you get a chance in life to "go to the big spin", to "roll the dice", to "grab the brass ring", to "hold a Royal Flush", to "use the ladies bathroom" - - wait a minute, not the last one!

Seriously, even though the little ******* doesn't have a bigger policy, you would still wind up with the 20K PLUS a judgment that could last for years - - garnishments, empty his bank accounts, take his cars, coin collection, etc., etc., etc. It's a known fact that Plaintiffs, on average, obtain larger settlements or judgments when represented by counsel.

Go for the gusto!

IAAL

H

h-town

IAAL, thanks alot, thats exactly the encouragement i was looking for. i am going for it!! im not hurting for money so i'll wait it out and hope for a bigger prize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">