• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by Allstate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bydd98

We were hit by a car 6 months ago. Both vehicles were faulted. I had full coverage. My insurance covered my totaled vehicle. Now it seems Allstate (the other driver's insurance) has filed a civil suit against me! Is that legal and, if so, what should I do??? I have 30 days to respond to this initial summons. It says they have contacted me many times and I have refused to pay them but this is the first I have ever heard from them. Any advice? Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bydd98 said:
We were hit by a car 6 months ago. Both vehicles were faulted. I had full coverage. My insurance covered my totaled vehicle. Now it seems Allstate (the other driver's insurance) has filed a civil suit against me! Is that legal and, if so, what should I do??? I have 30 days to respond to this initial summons. It says they have contacted me many times and I have refused to pay them but this is the first I have ever heard from them. Any advice? Thank you.
My response:

Well, it appears Allstate's beliefs about who is responsible for the damages is just a little bit different than yours; i.e., they believe you're the one at fault. And now, they want the money from you that they had to pay to their insured.

Now, you've got to immediately turn that Summons and Complaint over to your insurance company for your defense of that matter. You must completely cooperate with your insurance company's defense attorney that they assign to you for this matter.

And no, it won't cost you a dime for the defense attorney. That's why you paid insurance premiums. It's part of your coverage rights when you're sued as a result of a covered incident. And this was a covered incident.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">