• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by employer for accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bwhalen04

What is the name of your state? Iowa

While test driving a car during work hours for a mechanics shop. I had an accident. The employer had fired me within 1/2 hour and then recently sent me court papers. He carries insurance but did not turn it in. He paid for it out of pocket so he could get the money out of me and not have insurance premiums go up. No witnesses. I have a clean driving record and have had no accidents before. It's a personal thing between us we have never liked each other. What do you think???

This is going to small claims court. I have been told by two lawyers that I probably don't need a lawyer..

Thanks in advance

racer72

If a claim had been made to an insurance company, the insurance company would have sued you instead. I'm sure you have heard the phrase, six of one, half a dozen of another. The same applies here, you were going to be held liable for your negligence no matter who paid to fix the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">