• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued for injuries despite company insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moistener

What is the name of your state? New York

While out on a job in a company van I was charged with reckless driving as I swerved onto oncoming traffic whereby a vehicle with 2 occupants t-boned the van. Nearly 1.5 years later I'm being sued for injuries and time off employment by the occupants. Since I was in the company van (which has insurance), can I still be sued for the accident and pay out of my pocket for the occupant's injuries?

Thanks for the help.

Ozark_Sophist

An injured party sues the negligent party (YOU). You then contact your insurance company. Were both you and your employer named on the lawsuit?

moistener

An injured party sues the negligent party (YOU). You then contact your insurance company. Were both you and your employer named on the lawsuit?
I very much appreciate your quick response. Yes, 2 names appear on the lawsuit. Can you tell me the process of which this lawsuit can take? I'm guessing my employer with contact his insurance company as I will, also. From there, a court date will be set?

Excuse for my lack of understanding...which would explain my career in the science field.

Ozark_Sophist

You should be covered under your employer's insurance policy. Verify this.

If the case is not settled outside court, a court date will then be set.

Ozark_Sophist

Keep checking back. Others will probably have more to add or clarify.

The injured party is entitled to medical damages, economic damages, and pain and suffering from the negligent party. Your employer has the deeper pockets, but all parties must be named in the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">