• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sued for low property damage limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neelo0000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Hi
i was involved in car accident.it was chain of 5 cars.I was 4th.i got ticket because officer think I hit 3 cars
infront me and 5th car hit me after that.so 5th car also got careless driving ticket.I filled not guilty in court
and ticket was dismissed that is no fine and no point.Now I am being sued by insurance companies of car#2 and 3 ($ 9000 and 5000)
for property damage because they are unable to settle with
my insurance company cause I have only $ 5000 property damage coverage.Now I am getting (civil part) court summons
for these liabilities.What should I do???I am not in fault because my ticket dismissed by court.I am low income and dont have any assets.
Thanks

ecmst12

Getting the ticket dismissed does NOT mean you can't be found at fault by a civil court. Did you report the suit to your insurance company?

neelo0000

Think OJ Simpson, found not guilty in criminal court, guilty in civil cour

Thanks for your reply
But what should I do.not have enough money for trial .confused may be they will get judgement against me??

Dave1952

It seems likely that they will get judgments against you. Then they'll try to collect. They'll look over your assets and decide if you have any thing worth auctioning off. Some assets are exempt from such seizure and auction, so figure out what can't be taken. They may try to garnish your wages so research garnishment in your State. Such judgments last a long time so if you win the lottery expect them to come calling.

Good luck

neelo0000

Yes I did but problem is I have lower limits(5000) than the people claimed that is why my insurace company unable to pay.

ecmst12

Doesn't matter, they are still required to provide you with a lawyer to defend against the suit. So tell them to assign you a lawyer and talk to him or her about what comes next. 9 times out of 10, these things still settle out of court within the policy limits, because the cost to try to collect from a deadbeat with no assets and state minimum insurance is way more then it's worth.

neelo0000

Bundle of thanks for your reply
I will try to put pressure on my insurance company.they told me when we will settle down the issue ,because claim is more than your limits thats why you have to pay some amount.How can I pay??any procedure I am low in income

Country Living

Let's reverse the scenario. Let's say you were in an accident caused by someone else. They damaged your car and you were injured. They didn't carry enough insurance (just like you). What would you expect of them?

neelo0000

nothing,I don't have collision coverage,so will fix myself.and will get money from my own insurance company as PIP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">