• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing Friend???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Regulator

What is the name of your state? New York

Few weeks ago, my friend gave me permission to drive the car, my friend was sitting in the passenger seat. Shortly after driving, we pulled up at a red light that's when we were rear-ended.

I'm worried that my friend may get the idea and want to sue. My friend says that sueing is out of the question but YOU NEVER KNOW.

What can I do?

Thanks

rmet4nzkx

You give us very little information or even a reason to possibly sue, so I must ask some questions.
First of all, this is a matter for their insurance carrier. They do have insurance or is that why they are worried about you suing them?
Were there any injuries?
Who was at fault?
Were you driving because they couldn't for some reason, such as illness or drunkenness?

R

Regulator

^^^^

I was driving

My friend was the passenger

My friend gave me permission because at the time, my friend didn't feel like driving (tired due to work).

It's a no-fault car accident

We were rear-ended by another vehicle, while waiting for red light to change

Injuries? Yes for me the driver and for my friend the passenger

My concerns are: Would it be possible for my friend to sue me? and would it be possible for my friend to sign something stating that will not sue. For example, we were to have a lawsuit against the other vehicle and their insurance made a settlement, where we both got some money for the injuries and the case is closed! Would it be possible for my friend to open a case against me for more damages because I was the one that was driving.

And yes we're both currently getting therapy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">