• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing county for plow causing accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UnhappyILmom

What is the name of your state? WI

I don't know much about legal matters, so hopefully someone else might know. I was going to visit my parents in Wisconsin from Illinois last week. It snowed that day, and was snowing half of the way.

Anyway, we made it until about 20 minutes away from my parents home, when a city plow came down the highway. These are country roads, only 2 lanes by the way. I slowed down when I saw it and a trail of about 4 or 5 cars behind it. The plow was salting and plowing as it approached me..I would say we were going maybe 40 miles an hour..much faster than I thought such a big plow should be going. As soon as the plows slush hit the underneath of my car, my cars rear end swung around , making me slide into the car behind the plow and all behind.

Anyway, my car was totaled and all in the car went to the hospital, with no serious injuries. So, since I am sure that it was the plows fault for this accident to happen, could I have a lawsuit? I was driving for 3 hours in worse consitions before this and managed to drive safelty...I also have a safe drivers permit from IL for not getting into or causing any accidents...so I know I am a good driver. If this plow would have lifted his plow while passing me, that wouldn't have happened...I am certain. Not to mention, the plow driver didn't even stop! The city employee who caused the accident didn't even worry about an accident that he had caused! What a jerk!
Is there some sort of law or driving class that these people take...or they just let anyone plow anywhere and do it however they want??? They have rules for driving a car, motorcycle..is there one that these plowers have to take as well?

JETX

I would say we were going maybe 40 miles an hour..much faster than I thought such a big plow should be going.
Your post is confusing,... were YOU doing 40 or the plow operator?? If you, then 40 mph is far too fast to approach a road service vehicle.

[/quote]If this plow would have lifted his plow while passing me, that wouldn't have happened...I am certain.[/quote]
And I am just as certain that this accident... or damage, wouldn't have happened if you had been more cautious of the plow.

OSTBE

: )

he says right after the statement abour 40 mph that he thought it was too fast for a plow. I think that although the plow may have caused the accident, Without any proof that you were not to close to the other lane or that you yourself were not speeding then you might not have a case at all.

ecmst12

This is a one car accident and you are going to be found at fault. The plow didn't hit you, you lost control due to road conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">