• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Minor in Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

notfair

I live in MO. I received a response on this forum that if the minor was covered by auto insurance, then the insurance company would be the respondent. The small claims office at the courthouse said that I could file against the other driver or the insurance company or both. They seemed to think that filing soley against the other driver would be more effective, because they would like put pressure on the insurance company to settle so they didn't have to go to court. Since the other driver was a minor -- am I required to file against the insurance company soley or can I file against the responsible parent? Also, I needed my question answered, do you still file against the responsible parent if the minor is 18 or older now, but not at the time of the accident. Thanks.

racer72

Just to be safe, I would include all parties (kid, dad, and insurance company) and let the judge decide who pays and who doesn't. If the claim is small to the insurance company (under $25,000), the insurance company may just go ahead and pay. You mentioned small claims court so the most you could sue for whould have to be well under the $25,000. In my state the limit is $2500 so it would probably cost the insurance company more to fight so they would just pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">