• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Uninsured family for costs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Turcottec

I am having a debate, which is a big issue here in my household.

If my child, who is 18, decides to register his OWN car in HIS name, and decides that he doesn't want to put insurance on it (In NH you don't have to have insurance if you don't want to) and gets into an accident, can the parents be sued if the child doesn't have enough money? Any help would be greatly appreactied or websites that help in any way also.
Christine

HomeGuru

Turcottec said:
I am having a debate, which is a big issue here in my household.

If my child, who is 18, decides to register his OWN car in HIS name, and decides that he doesn't want to put insurance on it (In NH you don't have to have insurance if you don't want to) and gets into an accident, can the parents be sued if the child doesn't have enough money? Any help would be greatly appreactied or websites that help in any way also.
Christine
**A: you did not follow posting instructions.

JETX

Racer, actually the writer is correct.
"New Hampshire auto insurance law does not require you to have automobile insurance.

However, under New Hampshire auto insurance law, if you have an "at fault" accident without having insurance coverage, you will be required to post a bond or cash equal to the amount of damage you caused in that accident.

You must also satisfy the NH Financial Responsibility requirements to continue to operate a vehicle in New Hampshire. The minimum limits required under New Hampshire auto insurance law are 25/50/25 (Bodily Injury $25,000 per person; $50,000, 2 or more persons; and Property Damage $25,000). A $75,000 single limit policy will also satisfy the minimum requirement."
Source: http://www.autoinsurancelaw.com/new-hampshire-auto-insurance-law.html

"can the parents be sued if the child doesn't have enough money?"
*** Yes, they can be sued... anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything. However, the court would release them from liability. Once the child reaches the age of majority, he/she becomes a legal adult and the parents are no longer liable for his conduct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">