• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summoned to answer complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

realitybitesat24

I live in New York and in 1998 was in a car accident where I was coming out of a parking and hit a car on the side. No one was hurt, but now I received a summons to answer a complaint and am not sure what to do. I don't want to write anything that will perger myself. I don't have any money for legal advise and would like to know if the state can provide me an attorney. Where do I go for help. I don't have much time either because they gave me 20 days to respond.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

realitybitesat24 said:
I live in New York and in 1998 was in a car accident where I was coming out of a parking and hit a car on the side. No one was hurt, but now I received a summons to answer a complaint and am not sure what to do. I don't want to write anything that will perger myself. I don't have any money for legal advise and would like to know if the state can provide me an attorney. Where do I go for help. I don't have much time either because they gave me 20 days to respond.
My response:

Did you have vehicle insurance in 1998 ?

If so, that same insurance company owes you a defense, even though they may no longer be your insurance company today. If you did have insurance, call them and make arrangements to have this lawsuit defended by them.

If you didn't have insurance, let me know and we'll explore some other avenues.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">