• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspension Of Driving Privileges ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

supernova19

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm sorry for making a question my first post, but I hope to contribute more in the future.

I had a recent minor auto accident.

As I was turning left out of an alleyway, a car sideswiped me. I was in the lane before him and he tried to pass me. The back left side of his bumper scratched against the front right side of my bumper, and left a lot of damage. His car had only a few scratches.

This was the first accident that I was ever in. At first I thought the accident was my fault. So, I apologized, and we mutually agreed that we would negotiate this outside of insurance. We mutually agreed to leave the scene of the accident.

However, I never admitted fault, nor agreed that I would pay him. The only mistake I made was apologizing when I got out of the car.

After seeing the damages to my car, which were worse, and rethinking the details of the accident, I realized that either it was his fault, or a combination of fault, but certainly not all my fault.

The damages to his car were very minor, just a few scratches. Yet, now he is dead set that the accident is my fault, and that I owe him money. I believe that he owes me money and that he is at fault.

Anyway, we tried negotiations, which failed almost immediately. After he pestered me at least 5 times for money, he went to a free attorney (he's a student and gets free legal service), to help him get some monetary award.

I also went to an attorney who said that I could easily defend myself in small claims court, because of all the evidence/pictures/e-mails that I have against him. So I am not worried about that.

However, I recently got an e-mail from his attorney saying that if I did not pay the attorney 500 dollars in damages, that he would have his client go to the Secretary of State's office to "have my driving privileges reviewed"

What exactly is the attorney talking about? My driving record is clean except for a recent seatbelt ticket. Is there something he could do at the Secretary of State's office to get my license suspended?

CourtClerk

Call your insurance company and file a claim. That's what they are there for. Tell the attorney to kick rocks and talk to your insurance co. from now on.

supernova19

If I file a claim with my insurance, does the guarantee that my rates will go up? At this point in time I feel like it might be worth it just to get some damages for the accident, but I would prefer not to have the rates go up.

Also keep in mind that the damage is almost the same as the deductible.

Call your insurance company and file a claim. That's what they are there for. Tell the attorney to kick rocks and talk to your insurance co. from now on.

ecmst12

No, your rates will not go up for an accident that is not your fault. No, you do not have a deductible for your liability coverage (if they for some reason decide you WERE at fault and want to pay for the other car's damages). You can file a claim for your own damages with the other guy's insurance company if you don't want to pay your collision deductible.

Ozark_Sophist

Sounds like the OP pulled in front of a car traveling in the same direction. Car passed him after being cut off and clipped the side of the OP's car with his fender. I don't see this as zero liability for the OP.

Betty

It sounds to me also that OP turned left out of alley in front of a car coming the same direction though don't know how far back other car was when OP pulled out. OP may not be completely fault free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">