• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Take me to court" what does this mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlynnm

What is the name of your state? Texas. I had a minor accident, no tickets were issued, police indicated we both were at fault. Me,more than the other driver. No damage to my car and no one was issued a ticket. Minor damage to hers but after walking around the site for some time she decided she needed to go to the hospital. My insurance Adjuster has advised he was going to offer 60% coverage but felt certain she would hire an attorney and take me to court. The adjuster indicated the insurance company would provide me an attorney. Does this mean my personal assets are in danger? Or is it more of a question of how much my insurance company will have to pay? I carry full coverage. Initially I was upset her claim would make my insurance go up but now I'll be relieved if that is all that happens. Could someone please explain?

teflon_jones

Do you have liability coverage on your policy? If so, you're covered for anything up to that amount she wins in court. If she receives a judgement for more than your coverage, you're responsible for this additional amount out of pocket. The attorney from your insurance company is free of charge to you, it's part of what you pay for in your policy. So yes, your assets could be in danger if she receives a judgement for more than your liability coverage. Otherwise, your insurance company will pay for everything and all you can expect is a hike in your insurance rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">