• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tapped car in parking lot, no damage, hit and run?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver106

Driver in CT here -- today I was backing out in a parking lot very slowly and tapped the back of a car behind me (a short sports car parked crooked so I couldn't really see it well...). I got out and looked for damage, as far as I could tell I couldn't see anything. I didn't have anything to leave a note with and the driver also wasn't there after I came back after a while. Would this count as a hit-and-run, and should I try to contact the other driver now? (I have the license plate number -- who would I call about that?)

Thanks!!

Driver in CT here -- today I was backing out in a parking lot very slowly and tapped the back of a car behind me (a short sports car parked crooked so I couldn't really see it well...). I got out and looked for damage, as far as I could tell I couldn't see anything. I didn't have anything to leave a note with and the driver also wasn't there after I came back after a while. Would this count as a hit-and-run, and should I try to contact the other driver now? (I have the license plate number -- who would I call about that?)

Thanks!!
If you tapped the car behind you and discovered no damages, you should be in the clear.

Ladyback1

If you tapped the car behind you and discovered no damages, you should be in the clear.
*sigh*

No, the OP should have at the very least left a note.
OP could have caused damage and not seen it/realized it. And now? OP is guilty of hit and run.

*sigh*

No, the OP should have at the very least left a note.
OP could have caused damage and not seen it/realized it. And now? OP is guilty of hit and run.
So if I'm parallel parking and my car ever so slightly makes contact with the bumper of another car as I manuever into my parking space, I am guilty of hit and run and/or I should leave a note on the car whose bumper I made slight contact with? Sorry, but I disagree! :rolleyes:

RRevak

So if I'm parallel parking and my car ever so slightly makes contact with the bumper of another car as I manuever into my parking space, I am guilty of hit and run and/or I should leave a note on the car whose bumper I made slight contact with? Sorry, but I disagree! :rolleyes:
If you "ever so slightly make contact with the bumper of another car" yes, you have to inform the driver of the vehicle. If you leave the scene before making contact with the other driver you are then guilty of a hit and run. You "hit" the other car and "ran" from the scene. I'm not sure where you're confused or why that needs to be disagreed with. Its standard and pretty much common sense.

Your response is the reason seniors are left to the advising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">