• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teenage driver with permit involved in fatal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kellid

What is the name of your state? california

My younger sister who was under 18 at the time was involved in a single car accident in which the Adult Passenger was killed.

My first question is this. What amount of fault is placed on each person, i.e. the permitted driver and the adult in the passenger seat.

There was no alcohol involved . She was driving on Hwy 5 in California. She was not speeding. But there were high winds that caused her to loose control and flip the car. The adult was a long time family friend taking my sisters on a weekend to the coast. They were driving my mothers car as the adult incharge did not have a car. My mother was not present when the accident occured.

Second question is to what degree is my mother responsible as it was her car? and because she is the legal guardian (not actually mother to teen but has lived with my mom since age 2)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kellid said:
What is the name of your state? california

My younger sister who was under 18 at the time was involved in a single car accident in which the Adult Passenger was killed.

My first question is this. What amount of fault is placed on each person, i.e.

MY RESPONSE:

the permitted driver = 100%

and the adult in the passenger seat = 0%

But there were high winds that caused her to loose control and flip the car.

MY RESPONSE: Cars don't flip without some type of negligence on the part of the driver. If your theory were correct, then every passenger vehicle would have flipped.

Second question is to what degree is my mother responsible as it was her car?

MY RESPONSE: Since she was probably the person who signed the license application, and since she was the owner of the vehicle, she'll have State minimum coverage under her policy. So, for the sake of your sister and mother, I hope your sister was HEAVILY covered with insurance.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">