• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telephone Pole Meets Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asgard71

Knoxville, Tennessee

About three weeks ago there was a car that came down the road I live on. They were probably drunk because they hit the telephone pole near my driveway and the pole broke off at the bottom (it had a rotten bottom) and the pole swung down and hit my car in the front left side making it un-drivable and probably totaled. Since the driver got away and they didn't actually hit my car the insurance will not pay the uninsured portion of the policy and I didn't have it fully covered with comprehensive. Everyone keeps telling me to get the power company (Knoxville Utility Board) to pay for it but would they even be liable and can I make a claim to them?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Knoxville, Tennessee

About three weeks ago there was a car that came down the road I live on. They were probably drunk because they hit the telephone pole near my driveway and the pole broke off at the bottom (it had a rotten bottom) and the pole swung down and hit my car in the front left side making it un-drivable and probably totaled. Since the driver got away and they didn't actually hit my car the insurance will not pay the uninsured portion of the policy and I didn't have it fully covered with comprehensive. Everyone keeps telling me to get the power company (Knoxville Utility Board) to pay for it but would they even be liable and can I make a claim to them?
The utility company is not responsible. "Everyone" is wrong.

asgard71

No worries

I didn't think so either. My thoughts would be that they didn't do anything negligent and that the driver was fully to blame. Anyone want to buy a dented Sebring shaped flower pot?

You Are Guilty

How did the driver get away after smashing the pole? On foot? Were there any passengers? (Trying to track him down is the fastest way to recoup some of your losses.)

Good luck.

asgard71

Rotten Pole

The driver got away because the pole was rotten at the bottom. He wasn't driving fast according to the witnesses. Police came and a report was filed so they will probably only find them if he or she get's pulled over. Considering what happened they didn't get far and their car is probably messed so I don't see them driving around much if any.

Life is like a dogsled team.....If you are not the lead dog the scenery never changes :cool:

xylene

But

If the pole is rotten, that is negligence on the utility company's part. ;)

Sounds like a claim to me.

BTW - Utilities are required to maintain their pole plant and replace or treat poles with 'butt rott'.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I dismissed "rot" as a layman's opinion. Can't hurt to have the utility company inspect it as part of their claim processing...but I suspect they will find that the rot did NOT cause it to fall.

ecmst12

Yeah the poor condition of the pole may have contributed but it still would not have fallen if not for the car.

And homeowners insurance DOES NOT PAY for damage to your car. EVER.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">