• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee License Suspension over, can I get a Florida License?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jvstin

What is the name of your state? Florida & Tennessee
Long story short, after I moved to Florida, I found out my Tennessee license was suspended for an accident I had for not having insurance. The suspension is over, online tells me I can reinstate it for a fee, but I need to get my Florida license since I now live here.
Can I just go into the DMV and get it or do I have to reinstate my TN license first?

Last edited:

Suspended Drivers Licenses a No Go

What is the name of your state? Florida & Tennessee
Long story short, after I moved to Florida, I found out my Tennessee license was suspended for an accident I had for not having insurance. The suspension is over, online tells me I can reinstate it for a fee, but I need to get my Florida license since I now live here.
Can I just go into the DMV and get it or do I have to reinstate my TN license first?
If your out-of-state drivers license is still listed as suspended you must clear up the suspension (reinstated it) before you will be given a Florida drivers license.

Jvstin

it's not still suspended, I suppose it's just invalid. it gives me the option online to pay a fee to reinstate it.

it's not still suspended, I suppose it's just invalid. it gives me the option online to pay a fee to reinstate it.
I am confused. How is it that its not still suspended? You paid the fine for the ticket...right? But you have not paid for the reinstatement? I was not aware there was a difference. I can see what you mean by not suspended but not valid. I just think you have to have a valid license from another state to get a FL one...call the DMV. They would have the answer and not guesses.

FlyingRon

I am confused. How is it that its not still suspended? You paid the fine for the ticket...right? But you have not paid for the reinstatement? I was not aware there was a difference. I can see what you mean by not suspended but not valid. I just think you have to have a valid license from another state to get a FL one...call the DMV. They would have the answer and not guesses.
The reinstatement fee is distinct from the fine. The fine is your penalty and goes to the court. The reinstatement fee is the pound of flesh the dmv exacts to clear the suspension. You need to pay both.

Jvstin

I didn't get any ticket. there was a letter sent to my old address in Tennessee that didn't reach me until almost 3 years after the incident telling me it was going to be suspended. when I went online to check for renewal, it gave me the option of a reinstatement fee. there never was a ticket.

I didn't get any ticket. there was a letter sent to my old address in Tennessee that didn't reach me until almost 3 years after the incident telling me it was going to be suspended. when I went online to check for renewal, it gave me the option of a reinstatement fee. there never was a ticket.
What was the reason for the suspension in the first place...i know, no insurance while involved in an accident...but they usually issue the person a ticket for no insurance. when they suspend your license (eg...for failing to pay a fine or having too many points etc), you have to then pay a reinstatement fee after that. if you got no initial ticket or fine, what was the reason for the suspension? in the end, i still think you have to have your TN license reinstated to get a new FL license. Call the DMV.

moburkes

TENNESSEE
(a) The department is hereby authorized to suspend the license of an operator or chauffeur upon a showing by its records or other sufficient evidence that the licensee:
(1) Has committed an offense for which mandatory revocation of license is required upon conviction; provided, that in the event of a conviction resulting from the offense, the time of mandatory revocation shall be counted from the date upon which the driver license was received by the department or the circuit court clerk;
(2) Has contributed as a driver in any accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another or serious property damage;
**3) The department is hereby authorized to reinstate a person's driving privileges when such person provides the department with certification from the local court, or court clerk of the jurisdiction that such person has entered into a payment plan with the local court or the court clerk of the jurisdiction and has satisfied all other provisions of law relating to the issuance and restoration of a driver license.
FLORIDA
The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 322
DRIVERS' LICENSES View Entire Chapter

322.031 Nonresident; when license required.--
(1) In every case in which a nonresident, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003(61), accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state or enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state, such nonresident shall, within 30 days after the commencement of such employment or education, be required to obtain a Florida driver's license if such nonresident operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this state. The spouse or dependent child of such nonresident shall also be required to obtain a Florida driver's license within that 30-day period prior to operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state.
TO OBTAIN A FLORIDA LICENSE:
(d) Whether the applicant has previously been licensed to drive, and, if so, when and by what state, and whether any such license or driving privilege has ever been disqualified, revoked, or suspended, or whether an application has ever been refused, and, if so, the date of and reason for such disqualification, suspension, revocation, or refusal.

Amendment to Financial Responsibility Law

Tennessee's Financial Responsibility Law (T.C.A.,55-12-139) changed effective January 1, 2002. At the time the driver of a motor vehicle is charged with any moving violation under Title 55, Chapters 8 and 10, Parts 1-5, Chapter 50; any other local ordinance regulating traffic; or at the time of an accident for which notice is required under Section 55-10-106, the officer will request evidence of financial responsibility. In the case of an accident for which notice is required under Section 55-10-106, the officer will request such evidence from all drivers involved in the accident, without regard to apparent or actual fault.

In addition, effective July 2, 2003, T.C.A. 55-12-140 requires the court to report the dismissal of violations of failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility under 55-12-139, if the charge was dismissed because the person obtained evidence of financial responsibility prior to the court's disposition. The department will place a STOP on your vehicle file and not issue a renewal of registration for any vehicle for which evidence of financial responsibility is required under 55-12-139. This applies to drivers with cases dismissed because of obtaining the evidence of financial responsibility prior to the court's disposition and drivers suspended because of conviction.

Penalties for Violations
A conviction for failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility will be a Class C misdemeanor punishable only by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00). Also, once the State is notified of a conviction, the violator's drivers license will be suspended.

TDOS Expands Online Services to Include Driver License Reinstatements

Citizens Now Able to Restore Driving Privileges Without Leaving Home

NASHVILLE, Tenn., --- The Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) is offering citizens the ability to restore their driving privileges by expanding its online suite of services. Citizens needing to restore a canceled, suspended or revoked driver license can often avoid a trip to a driver license station or reinstatement office by simply logging onto www.tennessee.gov/safety.

Jvstin

alright, here's what it tells me online.
-
YOUR DRIVING PRIVILEGES ARE CURRENTLY REVOKED, SUSPENDED OR CANCELLED FOR THE
FOLLOWING REASONS:

DATE OCCURRED OFFENSE
03/31/2004 FAIL TO FILE SECURITY AFTER ACC

IN ORDER TO REINSTATE YOUR DRIVING PRIVILEGES, YOU MUST COMPLY WITH THE
REQUIREMENTS LISTED BELOW:

* CONTACT A LIABILITY INSURANCE CARRIER LICENSED TO DO BUSINESS IN TENNESSEE
AND HAVE THEM FILE AN SR-22 FORM WITH THIS DEPARTMENT. IF YOU ARE AN OUT
OF STATE RESIDENT, THE SR-22 FORM SHOULD SHOW FILED WITH TENNESSEE, NOT
YOUR HOME STATE. IF YOU DO NOT OWN A VEHICLE, YOU MAY OBTAIN A NON-OWNER'S
POLICY.

* SUBMIT A NOTARIZED AFFIDAVIT IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SUED AS A RESULT OF THE
ACCIDENT OCCURRING ON 03/31/2004. IF YOU HAVE BEEN SUED, SUBMIT A RELEASE
FORM FROM THE PARTY WHO FILED THE SUIT.

* SUBMIT A REINSTATEMENT FEE IN THE AMOUNT OF $190.00. CASH OR CERTIFIED
CHECK OR MONEY ORDER PAYABLE TO THE TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY.
NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE REINSTATEMENT FEE
MAY ALSO BE PAID BY CREDIT CARD ONLINE BY VISITING OUR WEB SITE
WWW.TENNESSEEANYTIME.ORG/TNDLR AND CLICKING ON "REINSTATE YOUR DRIVING
PRIVILEGES". FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COST FOR YOU TO OBTAIN ANOTHER
TENNESSEE DRIVER LICENSE.

that pretty much explains it.

did you do parts I & II but not III ?

you have to follow up and do all of them and get your license reinstated before you can get a FL license.

Jvstin

I haven't done any of it yet, I just pulled this up hours ago.
2 & 3 I understand, but what all goes along with 1?
is it gonna cost me and if so could anyone give me a thought on how much it may be?
and I currently do not own a vehicle.

Last edited:
I haven't done any of it yet, I just pulled this up hours ago.
2 & 3 I understand, but what all goes along with 1?
is it gonna cost me and if so could anyone give me a thought on how much it may be?
and I currently do not own a vehicle.
you mean, you never got insurance after the accident where you didnt have any at that time?:eek:
so you basically ignored the entire event...as though it never happened....well, you see that things can come back, even years later if not taken care of.:cool:

I currently do not own a vehicle.
but you did at the time of the accident...why didn't you get coverage and take care of this then? were you dodging it? Now that you don't own a car, did you think that you could avoid this? Why do you need a license now then..if you don't have a car? Just get a ID at the DMV then. I would imagine that when you do get another car, that you might have to do these things then....in order to satisfy the requirements.

Jvstin

it's not that I ignored the event, I never got anything by mail about the event and my car was totaled so I didn't drive afterwards therefore I didn't get insurance. I have been added to someone elses insurance since then though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">