• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Test driving used car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrandMrs1021

I live in Mo but it took place in Illinois. We drove 45 mins to go look at a car that we had been assured that the car had been completely legal. We get there and we take the car for a test drive and the owner did not get into the vehicle. We drove around one block and when we made it to the third turn the steering wheel locked up and the brakes went out causing us to run a stop sign and get hit buy a truck. When the police got there the owner of the vehicle told them that she bought the car a month ago and I have been sitting in the parking lot and she had not gotten it legal and it did not have insurance. We got 3 tickets and she got nothing, ours was for failing to yield at an intersection, not having insurance, this was our first car, and not having valid registration, but it was not our car. I am so confused and have no idea what to do please help!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You don't take anyone's word for anything in a situation like this.

It was your responsibility to check the registration and insurance documents to make sure they were valid.

Is the owner trying to come after your for the cost of repairs to the car?

As far as the traffic tickets are concerned, your best bet is to hire an attorney in the jurisdiction where the accident took place - you could be looking at some serious issues for operating an uninsured vehicle at the very least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">