• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft Claim on Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rock11680

I guess I just have bad luck w/ cars considering this is my 2nd question on here. On 11/26/00 my car was stolen (I live in Florida). It was recovered the same night with damages. My insurance company made me go to a car dealership for an estimate. The estimate came to $2250 and the insurance company said that was more than 80% of the car's value - which I dispute. I told them that I would like to keep my car and not have it totaled. The adjuster told me that if I found an estimate of $1600 or less that I could keep the car and it would not be totaled. I went out and found this and submitted it to the insurance - who claimed to have lost it. I resubmitted it again. The adjuster called the repair shop to verify it was legit. Now they want to do contractual work with the repair shop rather than issuing me a check. The car is wholly owned by me and I think that if I want the check sent to me - then it should be. I can't afford to put my car in the shop for days at a time and this would be the reason I don't want the contractual work done. The adjuster said she is governed by Florida Laws to do contractual work because the car is totaled. But since I found an estimate below the 80% value of the car, then it is technically not totaled. What can I do? On top of that do I have any rights as far as the length of time it has taken them? It's been almost 3 months!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sorry about your problems, but the car is totaled. The adjuster gave you an inch and you are trying to take a mile.
Under Florida Law they have to total the car. What they have done is to offer you the value of the car minus the salvage amount. They are undoer no obligation to offer you the deal the way they did. Since apparently your car is drivable and safe to repair they must have felt sorry for you and came up with this option. The reason for the contract price is to prevent the cost of the repair from exceeding the salvage value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">