• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there typically coverage for items stolen from car??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needtoknow

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

I had about $1,000 of personal property (CD's) stolen from my car? My insurance company said that personal property is not covered under my automobile insurance. Do I have any options? Any help would be appreciated.

teflon_jones

Personal items in your car aren't normally covered unless specifically mentioned in your policy. Your homeowner's coverage (or renter's) may have a provision to cover property outside of your dwelling. You'll need to read both policies to determine if this applies to you.

tammy8

I am thinking that CD's are a grey area with a homeowner's policy and not normally covered under a homeowner's policy. I also believe there is an extra endorsement that can be added on your auto policy to cover stereo &/or CDs. Sounds like you didn't have that endorsement.

T

Trucking Mad

needtoknow said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan.

I had about $1,000 of personal property (CD's) stolen from my car? My insurance company said that personal property is not covered under my automobile insurance. Do I have any options? Any help would be appreciated.
You won't have a valid claim without a police report. Do you have one? Your Homeowners/ Renters ( which ever you have ) typically covers this less your deductable. Read your policy or contact your ins. agent for clarification!

BelizeBreeze

Now that everyone is through guessing at the right answer.....

Did you have liability only or comprehensive and where was the car parked when it was broken into?

needtoknow

I have comprehensive and the vehicle was parked in front of my apartment complex. I did file a police report. Thanks to all who have responded. :eek:

T

Trucking Mad

needtoknow said:
I have comprehensive and the vehicle was parked in front of my apartment complex. I did file a police report. Thanks to all who have responded. :eek:
You're welcome..Good luck!

BelizeBreeze

needtoknow said:
Then file a claim with your insurance company. The policy itself will dictate whether or not your contents will be covered and at what level.

BelizeBreeze said:
Then file a claim with your insurance company. The policy itself will dictate whether or not your contents will be covered and at what level.
BB, the OP stated they already did this and were told the cds were not covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">