• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for driving close to Emergency Lane in Vermont State on a MA license.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmvadvice

What is the name of your state? MA

I need advise on next steps:

1. My friend driving on a MA learners permit (with a US lincense holder on passnger seat) I89 Vermont, drove close to a parked passenger and police vehicle on emergency lane.

2. He was driving slow but was not able to change lanes due to moving traffic.

3. Cop did not like and showed his finger. The cop later followed (within < 0.5 miles), he realised it is for him and pulled the car to the emergency lane.

4. Cop gave a $250 ticket and 5 points saying:
- You drove close to the parked vehicle on emergency lane
- You pulled to the emergency lane wrongly

5. He feels he was wrongly treated as the cop kept on saying you are from outside the country and you feel you can drive as you want.

a) My friend is from MA so can he appeal this in Vermont and if yes, what are his chances of appeal.
b) If he looses the appeal will he still pay $250 or much more
c) How does these 5 points given in Vermont translate to his MA license.

FlyingRon

Not slow enough I would suspect. Many states have enacted laws requiring you to slow down (and that means SUBSTANTIALLY, not just to the speed limit) or move over when there is an emergency vehicle.

I spent far too many years as a firefighter/paramedic to be sympathetic to this. I can't tell you the number of times things off the shoulder have been struck. If you ever break down, get the hell away from the car, believe me, some clown like your friend will hit it.

(oops typo above made the second sentence unreadable)

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

Not slow enough I would suspect. Many states have enacted laws requiring you to slow down (and that means SUBSTANTIALLY, not just to the speed limit) or move over when there is an emergency vehicle.

I spent far too many years as a firefighter/paramedic to be sympathetic to this. I can't tell you the number of times things off the should have been struck. If you ever break down, get the hell away from the car, believe me, some clown like your friend will hit it.
I am sympathetic as well, but how is slow down defined? Probably why tickets are dismissed.

"Yes, I did slow down officer."
"No, you didn't--not slow enough."
"How fast was I going before reaching the emergency vehicle? And how fast was I going when I reached the emergency? Did you measure my speed before and as I was passing? And could you please point out in the statute where it states I have to slow down a specific amount?"

FlyingRon

Just like any of the safe speed laws, it just says safe for the conditions (which includes the safety of the emergency services guys). Whizzing inches by them at highway speeds is just not justifiable. The posted limit is just a per se indication of a violation of the speed law. The operative rule is:

No person shall "run" a motor vehicle at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and proper, having regard to traffic and the use of the way and the safety of the public

xylene

Ron, whatever you (and I) might think about the merits of these laws intention , Ozarks point exposes the flaws in these laws as they stand now (i.e. highly subjective...)

The carolinas have numerous signs requiring drivers to merge left from the right lane for emergency vehicles.

I have only once obeyed that law. Because drivers in the left lane feel it is their prerogative to maintian 75mph or faster. I am note willing to risk my safety for 18 wheeler 1 meter from my bumper high beaming me and sounding their horn.

I no feel no sympathy for the emergency responders. Its the state patrol own damn fault.

FlyingRon

Ron, whatever you (and I) might think about the merits of these laws intention , Ozarks point exposes the flaws in these laws as they stand now (i.e. highly subjective...)
And my counterpoint was that ALL SAFE SPEED LAWS are highly subjective. Did you read the passage I quoted from the Mass statutes? That applies to every inch of public road not just to emergency situations.
I no feel no sympathy for the emergency responders. Its the state patrol own damn fault.
What does your opinion of the State Police have to do with the lives of the firefighters and paramedics who are putting their lives on the line to protect your pathetic life and property?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">