• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket for parallel parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Zhao

My car's passenger side mirror slightly touched another car when I parallel parked my car on the Princeton Street, in NJ. Police officer issued my a ticket for "improper Backing". Should I plea guilt or go to court? Is Parallel Parking equal to Backing? What is my best auguement? Thanks!

Happy Trails

John Zhao said:
My car's passenger side mirror slightly touched another car when I parallel parked my car on the Princeton Street, in NJ. Police officer issued my a ticket for "improper Backing". Should I plea guilt or go to court? Is Parallel Parking equal to Backing? What is my best auguement? Thanks!
I'm not sure what kind of a defense you are shooting for. When you parallel park, you are backing up into the parking spot. You hit a vehicle doing it, and were cited for it.

John Zhao

Ticket for Parallel Parking

I'm not sure what kind of a defense you are shooting for. When you parallel park, you are backing up into the parking spot. You hit a vehicle doing it, and were cited for it.

I already paid the cost to fix the damaged car. Now, I just want to have the ticket cancelled. A failed parallel parking is not an improper backing. Improper backing has totally different meaning from Parallel Parking. I do not think there is any tickets for failed parallel parking. :rolleyes:

Happy Trails

John Zhao said:
I already paid the cost to fix the damaged car. Now, I just want to have the ticket cancelled. A failed parallel parking is not an improper backing. Improper backing has totally different meaning from Parallel Parking. I do not think there is any tickets for failed parallel parking. :rolleyes:
Was the code on the citation-- 39:4-127?

John Zhao

fortunately, the police office cited a wrong code in the citatio 39:4-126.
Can I request the court to cancel the ticket on the reason that there is a big mistake on the citation?

Happy Trails

John Zhao said:
fortunately, the police office cited a wrong code in the citatio 39:4-126.
Can I request the court to cancel the ticket on the reason that there is a big mistake on the citation?
He was off by one number, I doubt the court is going to look at that as a big mistake.

This is the one you are guilty of.

From NJ statutes:

39:4-127. Backing or turning in street
No vehicle shall back or make a turn in a street, if by so doing it interferes with other vehicles, but shall go around a block or to a street sufficiently wide to turn in without backing.

John Zhao

From NJ statutes:

No vehicle shall back or make a turn in a street, if by so doing it interferes with other vehicles, but shall go around a block or to a street sufficiently wide to turn in without backing.

It does not apply to my case. I did not back my car or make a turn in a street. I made a parallel park. It is permitted to parallel park on the street.

abaga

John Zhao said:
From NJ statutes:

It does not apply to my case. I did not back my car or make a turn in a street. I made a parallel park. It is permitted to parallel park on the street.
Part of Parallel Parking is backing your vehicle in to the space. So, you are backing your vehicle up.

John Zhao

Parallel Park on one side of the street. It is not backing in the street. Backing is not permitted in the street. But, parallel park on one side of the street is permitted. Backing in street is dangerious, is voilation of the rule. But, Parallel Park on one side of street is not a voilation.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

John Zhao said:
Parallel Park on one side of the street. It is not backing in the street. Backing is not permitted in the street. But, parallel park on one side of the street is permitted. Backing in street is dangerious, is voilation of the rule. But, Parallel Park on one side of street is not a voilation.
Huh? How did you cause the damage to the other vehicle?

John Zhao

Passenger side mirrow slightly touched a car which was already parked there on the side of street. It is said that in the parking area police officer usually does not issue ticket to minor accident.
Also, a failed parallel park is not equal to backing in the street.

Happy Trails

John Zhao said:
Passenger side mirrow slightly touched a car which was already parked there on the side of street. It is said that in the parking area police officer usually does not issue ticket to minor accident.
What direction was your car moving when you made contact?

Where was location of the damage on the other car?

Did you click on the first link in my other post and review parallel parking?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that. You fail your driving test if you can't parallel park.

When you parallel park, you back into the space. You line yourself up with the car you are going to park behind, put your blinker on etc...

More questions:

Did you put your blinker on?

What does your ticket say exactly?

Happy Trails

John Zhao said:
The ticket says: Improper Backing.
The cited status code is 39:4-126. It does not match the charged offense.
Yes, the officer is off by one number. The citation code the officer used is for failure to give proper signal.

Are you avoiding these questions?

What direction was your car moving when you made contact?

Where was location of the damage on the other car?

Did you click on the first link in my other post and review parallel parking?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">