• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket for yielding right of way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hammer21

What is the name of your state? New York

I was driving down a road going west slowing down to make a left hand turn. Upon reaching the intersection I slowed down and looked ahead for oncoming traffic. On the North and South roads are stop signs with a car at each stop sign. Coming from the east side, a vehicle would be cresting a hill and then going into a descent into the intersection that I was approaching. From the top of the hill to the middle of the intersection is at the speed of 55 mpg an approximate 5 second span. I looked at the two cars and then to the oncoming traffic, which there wasn't any and proceeded to turn left. I was already committed into the lane as I am lawfully supposed to be doing when turning left and a motorcycle hit me on the passenger side, more towards the back quarter panel. I am supposedly receving a ticket for failure to yield the right of way.
My question is that why am I getting ticketed when I was already committed to the turn and half of my car was into the appropriate lane heading North and the cyclist hit me? NYS law states that a driving approaching an intersection must yield the right of way to traffic already lawfully using the intersection. Am I lawfully using the intersection when I clearly need to turn left and go into the lane or is it the motorocyclist that is lawfully using it EVEN though I clearly saw no motorcyclist approaching because of the hill. Thank you.

racer72

Because NY law also states it is illegal to make a left hand turn unless you can clear the intersection safely. Traffic going straight always gets the right of way. It is quite obvious you could not safely clear the intersection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">