• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

time allowed to settle claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wildy

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Had an acident 3 weeks ago. Adjuster looked at car and doesn't agree that all damage is a result of their customers crashing into me. (it is!!)

I know what to do to get more money when the time comes (small claims court etc)

I was told by a friend however that they had to settle with me (or at least send me a check for the part they agreed with) within 30 days under state law. If not I guess I'm entitled to something.

Is thsi true? What does the law say? Where would I find it?

Thank you

Will

P

ProResearch

You do not say which "adjuster" you are talking about. Yours or theirs. It is different when the adjuster is the company to which you have an insurance policy. You have more 'say' than if it is the adjuster for the third-party claim or the at-fault driver's insurance company.

Can you prove that all the damage done is from the car wreck? Perhaps have a picture of your car before the "accident"?

As far as sending you money within a specified time period, each state is different. I actively waited 2 months for my property damage claim to process as it was not clear if they would total my 1993 Jaguar Vanden Plas or not......... but that was my choice too as I asked for a re-evaluation using a "salvage" car to replace many parts....... after all was said and done, however, my babee was "totaled" and I was presented with the amount MY insurance adjuster evaluated. However, they had not taken in consideration that I just had $450.00 work done two weeks earlier than my car wreck (other at fault 100%) nor had they a good basis in which to evaluate the value of my car. So I did some negotiation, which was time-consuming to get documentation, but in the end they came up with an offer about $1,500 more than original and I accepted it.

I believe you can do a search for your answers at

http://www.state.ma.us/doi/

Check it out, and let us know :)

J

JoBarry

Wildy -

Below is the link to the "Division of Insurance for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts"....

http://www.state.ma.us/doi/consumer/css_auto_qa.html

It is not a very 'user friendly' site compared to other DOI sites but the page I attached above has a list of general auto questions. Your question seems to be addressed under the first question asked on the list. Hope this helps.

W

wildy

Thanks JB. I looked all over hell for that link. I guess my friend was wrong about the 30 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">