• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

too late to sue? is it even possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angel4u999

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I let a guy acquantince of mine that I had only known for 2 or 3 months drive my car and he backed it up into a tree at a park...causing $3500 worth of damage. He then told me I couldnt call the cops or report it because he didn't have a license, it had been revoked. He told me he would give me the money to fix it. So, I now have my car in a shop and they are waiting to get the money from me to pay for it. I didn't go through insurance because I knew they wouldn't pay for another driver. While at the time this guy I let drive said he would pay for it...2 weeks later, I haven't received a dime and now when I call him, he doesn't return my calls. Is it too late to take him to a court to pay for the damages he did? And even if I do, what are my chances of winning considering his license is revoked? There was no police report made.

HomeGuru

Angel4u999 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I let a guy acquantince of mine that I had only known for 2 or 3 months drive my car and he backed it up into a tree at a park...causing $3500 worth of damage. He then told me I couldnt call the cops or report it because he didn't have a license, it had been revoked. He told me he would give me the money to fix it. So, I now have my car in a shop and they are waiting to get the money from me to pay for it. I didn't go through insurance because I knew they wouldn't pay for another driver. While at the time this guy I let drive said he would pay for it...2 weeks later, I haven't received a dime and now when I call him, he doesn't return my calls. Is it too late to take him to a court to pay for the damages he did? And even if I do, what are my chances of winning considering his license is revoked? There was no police report made.
**A: no it is not too late. Are you guys on drugs or something? $3500 worth of damage and you do not report it or file an insurance claim? Good going.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

. . . and, on top of all that, you allowed a person with a "suspended license" drive your car? And, don't give me the excuse that you didn't know about that little fact until AFTER the accident. It was your responsibility to know that BEFORE you let him drive your car and to say NO if it was suspended.

Under your facts, you'd be lucky if the judge only found you 50% comparatively negligent for having allowed an unlicensed person to drive your car.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">