• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Totaled car repairable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sabbr

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was recently in an accident alone. I lost control and hit a concrete highway divider. Ultimately because of the age of the vehicle and miles the car is totaled. I have been told the claim will be paid and I can then sell the car for salvage.

If I accept the payment for the totaled vehicle, can I then mechanically repair it to make it safe to drive or do I have to actually sell the vehicle for salvage?

I would like to fix any mechanical issues and continue to drive it but am wondering if this would constitute fraud.

You Are Guilty

sabbr said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was recently in an accident alone. I lost control and hit a concrete highway divider. Ultimately because of the age of the vehicle and miles the car is totaled. I have been told the claim will be paid and I can then sell the car for salvage.

If I accept the payment for the totaled vehicle, can I then mechanically repair it to make it safe to drive or do I have to actually sell the vehicle for salvage?

I would like to fix any mechanical issues and continue to drive it but am wondering if this would constitute fraud.
If you accept payment for the totaled vehicle, you do so contingent on signing the title over to the insurance company. You then (usually) have the option of purchasing the salvaged car back from them at a steeptly discounted price and then fixing it as you described. But note you will have a "salvage title" which will (negatively) affect the vehicle's value in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">