• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Totalled vehicle, high speed crash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GoddessJamie

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was involved in a car accident on November 15, 2004, that totalled my vehicle. I was making a left turn on a yellow light. Of the two oncoming lanes, the far right lane had one vehicle that came to a stop prior to me turning and the inside oncoming lane had a vehicle far enough away that he should've had to stop by the time he reached the light as it would've been red. However, that vehicle sped up and/or was speeding and ran the red light, smashing into the right front of my truck, spinning it around and totalling it.

I was not severely injured as far as anything broken, but I had severe bruising and swelling on my left ankle, left knee (which is still having limited sensation), right shin, entire hip and pelvic region, as well as lower back pain and right hip pain when I stand or walk around for long periods of time. It is too early to tell if this will be a permanent thing.

I was taken to the hospital by ambulance, but received a copy of the police report as well as spoke to the officer taking the report who informed me he spoke to several witnesses who all stated the driver who hit me ran a red light. The driver was found at fault. He told the police he was doing 50mph (in a 45mph zone) however, his passengers told police he was actually going about 75 to 80mph.

I am now without a vehicle and have been looking for a job since October 4. Without a car, it's difficult to go to job interviews, apply for jobs, etc.

Also, my insurer seems to be going rather low on the value of my vehicle (a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport pickup.)

Couple of questions:
1. Is there any chance of suing the other driver and/or his insurance company for damages or anything like that due to loss of my truck and pain and suffering?

2. Should I sign my title over to my insurance company without another appraisal of my truck?

3. Can I receive lost wages from my insurer with the written note I have from my doctor that I cannot work from November 15 (date of accident) until December 15 even if I am not currently employed?

4. If none of the above apply, is there any action or recourse at ALL?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">