• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing company damaged my car...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgross1

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

I was in a tow zone on my university's campus, therefore I was towed. I picked up my car, nice as can be, and drove away. Almost immediately, I knew something was wrong. Two minutes later I drove back because I could only drive straight if the wheel was vertical--like I was in a full left turn. If I left it "straight" my car would have drove in circles.

I went back and politely asked how my car had been towed and was told it was standard wheel lift towed...except my car really needs flatbed towing, indicated in my manual and advice from my mechanic back home...The employee became irate and asked me how long I'd been in the towing business and was overall, extremely rude. Basically said it was not his problem and I'd have to talk to the owner, who conveniently wasn't there.

I immediately drove to an auto shop in town and had them inspect it--my tie rod on the front passenger side was bent to a 90 degree angle. The mechanic who looked at my car asked if I had been in a car accident, and explained it had been towed, incorrectly at that. He said that there's no way it could have been previous damage, because the car is NOT driveable. He said if I had been driving on it for even a short time, the tires would have been totally worn on the edges, and my tires are only six months old and there's no wear. He offered to explain the damage to the towing company if necessary.

I called the towing company again and had the misfortune of speaking with the same employee as before, and once again, said it wasn't his problem and I'd have to talk with the owner who won't be back until tomorrow morning around 9. He also warned me if I fixed the car before the owner saw it, I wouldn't get a penny. I told him I wasn't fixing anything until I spoke with the owner.

The total to get it fixed is $167. I'm a college student paying my tuition by working full time. I don't have an extra $167, and neither do my parents. I can't eat this. I really think this is THEIR responsibility to pay for and not mine. The consequence of having your car towed is inconvenience and the fee. Not excessive damage. I have the right to receive my car in the same condition that it left in. I'm not claiming cosmetic damage...this is mechanical damage that you can't fake.

Someone tell me I have legal footing here....I'm going to Student Legal Assistance tomorrow too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">