• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing company damaged my car during impound - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nealio

this past wednesday i was pulled over by police and had my car impounded due to driving with a suspended liscence. The next day, after paying $800 to get everything straightened out, i picked up my car. The right side of my rear bumper has been pryed off of its carrier, and is just dangling there. My paint has also been scratched. It is clearly obvious the damage occured from the tow truck when they hooked up my car.

I contacted the towing company, and they are refusing to deal with me. They insist on hanging up the phone, and just tell me to take them to court.

I spoke to a couple attorney's but i am getting different opnions from both. One of them is telling me to go through the towing company's insurance. If i do go this route, how will i figure out their insurance information? I doubt they will give it to me over the phone--they are very rude. Another attorney stated that I would ahve to go after the city who impounded my car, since they contracted the towing company. He mentioned filling out a "claims for damage" form with the city. If the city rejects the claim (very high chance they will), he told me that i would have to take the city to court.

What should i do? I am so confused.

panzertanker

this past wednesday i was pulled over by police and had my car impounded due to driving with a suspended liscence. The next day, after paying $800 to get everything straightened out, i picked up my car. The right side of my rear bumper has been pryed off of its carrier, and is just dangling there. My paint has also been scratched. It is clearly obvious the damage occured from the tow truck when they hooked up my car.

I contacted the towing company, and they are refusing to deal with me. They insist on hanging up the phone, and just tell me to take them to court.

I spoke to a couple attorney's but i am getting different opnions from both. One of them is telling me to go through the towing company's insurance. If i do go this route, how will i figure out their insurance information? I doubt they will give it to me over the phone--they are very rude. Another attorney stated that I would ahve to go after the city who impounded my car, since they contracted the towing company. He mentioned filling out a "claims for damage" form with the city. If the city rejects the claim (very high chance they will), he told me that i would have to take the city to court.

What should i do? I am so confused.
What about making a claim with your insurance company and letting them go after the responsible party?

nealio

What about making a claim with your insurance company and letting them go after the responsible party?
That would have been my first choice, but due to me being oversease, i had removed my car from our coverage. I was originally under my parents insurance.

What else can i do? Is there a database i can search to figure out the towing company's insurance info?

moburkes

That would have been my first choice, but due to me being oversease, i had removed my car from our coverage. I was originally under my parents insurance.

What else can i do? Is there a database i can search to figure out the towing company's insurance info?
No. That is private information. You can do what one of the above attorneys suggested that you do. Try to find the form on your local county's website.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">