• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryusukez

I live in Seattle, Washington. When I went to visit a few friends in a small apartment complex, I saw an open space parking between the apartments. I thought it was a public parking spot so I parked there. But it wasn't. The apartment manager called the tow truck company to tow my car. Sitting near the window, I spotted the tow truck and immediately ran down to talk to them. He used his truck to blocked my car so I couldn't move it out. He told me that I have to pay $183 in cash for them to let my car go. After a heated conversation, I finally agreed to pay him the money. But I have no transportation to go to the bank and the truck driver said he wants cash only. Finally I got a friend that willing to drive me to the bank but since it's in a dead end zone and his truck blocked the only exist. We couldn't go to the bank and they started to tow my car. For a while, they couldn't get it out since my wheels are locked and there are cars on both side as well as in the front. They offered me to pay with card but will add tax on it. I refused. Then by bumping 1 of the old car parking next to me with the dolly and push the that car to a side a bit, they finally have the space to get it out. I told them that I'm willing to pay now with credit card and he refused. He towed my car to his lot and we followed him. He then quoted me $538 to take the car. Which later on I decided to pay. The reason I didn't want to pay him the first time because he quoted the price too high and obviously trying to evade tax. He's also obviously trying to take revenge on me because my car gave him trouble by almost tripling the price. I'm wondering if I can go to court for this to reduce the cost or at least get him charge for attempted tax evasion.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Seattle, Washington. When I went to visit a few friends in a small apartment complex, I saw an open space parking between the apartments. I thought it was a public parking spot so I parked there. But it wasn't. The apartment manager called the tow truck company to tow my car. Sitting near the window, I spotted the tow truck and immediately ran down to talk to them. He used his truck to blocked my car so I couldn't move it out. He told me that I have to pay $183 in cash for them to let my car go. After a heated conversation, I finally agreed to pay him the money. But I have no transportation to go to the bank and the truck driver said he wants cash only. Finally I got a friend that willing to drive me to the bank but since it's in a dead end zone and his truck blocked the only exist. We couldn't go to the bank and they started to tow my car. For a while, they couldn't get it out since my wheels are locked and there are cars on both side as well as in the front. They offered me to pay with card but will add tax on it. I refused. Then by bumping 1 of the old car parking next to me with the dolly and push the that car to a side a bit, they finally have the space to get it out. I told them that I'm willing to pay now with credit card and he refused. He towed my car to his lot and we followed him. He then quoted me $538 to take the car. Which later on I decided to pay. The reason I didn't want to pay him the first time because he quoted the price too high and obviously trying to evade tax. He's also obviously trying to take revenge on me because my car gave him trouble by almost tripling the price. I'm wondering if I can go to court for this to reduce the cost or at least get him charge for attempted tax evasion.
You can't charge him with anything. You parked illegally. And somehow it is everyone else's fault but yours? Really?

ryusukez

You can't charge him with anything. You parked illegally. And somehow it is everyone else's fault but yours? Really?
I didn't say it wasn't my fault. I was just shocked when he wanted $183 in Cash ONLY for just arriving there. I told him I would pay him but his trucked blocked the driveway completely so there was no way we can even take my friend's car to the bank to get the money...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They offered to give it to you with no tax if you paid cash. You refused. They offered to give it to you with tax if you used a card. You refused. Then, they towed your car. What else did you expect? You refused to pay them before they towed it, so they towed it.

ryusukez

They offered to give it to you with no tax if you paid cash. You refused. They offered to give it to you with tax if you used a card. You refused. Then, they towed your car. What else did you expect? You refused to pay them before they towed it, so they towed it.
No I agreed to pay him cash the first time. But I couldn't go to the bank get the cash because his truck blocked the driveway. At first he told me "cash only" then he said ok to card because he couldn't get my car out. I was going to pay him but he wanted more... He wasn't dress professionally and I was skeptical about handing my credit card to him. After a while, I agreed to pay but he refused to take it and towed my car anyways.

Zigner

No I agreed to pay him cash the first time. But I couldn't go to the bank get the cash because his truck blocked the driveway. At first he told me "cash only" then he said ok to card because he couldn't get my car out. I was going to pay him but he wanted more... He wasn't dress professionally and I was skeptical about handing my credit card to him. After a while, I agreed to pay but he refused to take it and towed my car anyways.
No matter how you spin it, you didn't pay him cash and you didn't pay by credit card.

TigerD

The towing company adding "tax" to the card payment wasn't because they were trying to evade taxes with cash, but most likely because they were trying to avoid credit card fees.

They gave you options. You chose to play games. Well, smart guy, your games cost you an extra several hundred dollars. You should probably quit while you are only out a few dollars. It gets expensive from here.

DC

ryusukez

The towing company adding "tax" to the card payment wasn't because they were trying to evade taxes with cash, but most likely because they were trying to avoid credit card fees.

They gave you options. You chose to play games. Well, smart guy, your games cost you an extra several hundred dollars. You should probably quit while you are only out a few dollars. It gets expensive from here.

DC
The thing is he told me CASH ONLY in the beginning then willing to accept cards later on. I have a debit card with me. I just hesitated because he raised the price from $183-$200

Zigner

The thing is he told me CASH ONLY in the beginning then willing to accept cards later on. I have a debit card with me. I just hesitated because he raised the price from $183-$200
Got it. The answer doesn't change.

ryusukez

What I'm trying to accomplish in this thread wasn't to get me off the towing fees. I know I was in wrong. What I'm trying to say is there should be a set towing rate so people can base on to pay their fees or at least let us know why is the cost is so high. The tow driver wanted $183 for just being there without doing anything yet. He could've say $200 or $300 or even $500 and the owner has to pay for it or it would be more later? There should be a price capped on what they say not just random number. Also paperwork showing what he did to deserve that money

Zigner

What I'm trying to accomplish in this thread wasn't to get me off the towing fees. I know I was in wrong. What I'm trying to say is there should be a set towing rate so people can base on to pay their fees or at least let us know why is the cost is so high. The tow driver wanted $183 for just being there without doing anything yet. He could've say $200 or $300 or even $500 and the owner has to pay for it or it would be more later? There should be a price capped on what they say not just random number. Also paperwork showing what he did to deserve that money
Talk to you local & state legislators. Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What I'm trying to say is there should be a set towing rate so people can base on to pay their fees or at least let us know why is the cost is so high. The tow driver wanted $183 for just being there without doing anything yet.
Well he was charging you a "drop fee" to let the car go without a tow - this is common.

You apparently were in an area where tow charges are unregulated. If that is, in fact, the case then the tow companies can charge whatever they want for their services. Perhaps you can check with the local police to confirm that, but if it's true there is nothing you can do.

racer72

The Seattle city council has addressed the issue of towing costs a number of times but nothing is being done about it. It appears the towing company owners have lots of pull.

donzoh1

I read about a Predatory Towing law that was proposed last year in Washington but don't know whether that passed. Too bad you don't live in California. There are all kinds of regulatory requirements that must be met. In my Mom's case, her car was towed (after the property owner's employee gave her specific permission to park there) and the towing company wound up owing her more than two thousand dollars, had she cared to sue them in small claims court. The parking lot warning signs were improper (some letters less than 1 inch high), there was no pay telephone in the towing company lobby, they tried to charge two days storage when only holding the car for 8 hours, etc. I knew she wouldn't sue but when the tow company found out about the money they might be paying her, they gave her car back, no questions asked. Even though they had a copy of the Predatory Towing Law posted in the employee break room, they didn't think compliance was a big deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">