• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the town liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mike Conti

While driving home one night a trunk of a tree was laying across a major street outside of chicago. I was unable to avoid it because i would have had to go into the oncomming lane which had traffic on it. So i had to drive over the piece of wood. A piece of the wood snapped,shot up, and hit my car causing damage to it. Is the town liable for not maintaining the road, meaning is it responcible for that piece of tree? I have pictures of the wood on the street and I also had an officer file a police report.

JETX

"Is the town liable for not maintaining the road, meaning is it responcible for that piece of tree?"
*** No. Unless you can show that the 'town' knew about the tree and did nothing (negligence), they have no liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">