• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Accident dismissed without prejudice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffzzang623

What is the name of your state?
GA

I was involved in a traffic accident a year ago which was my fault. The other party sued and it was brought to court (I was served with legal papers). Before we started the trial, however, my insurance company came to a settlement with the plaintiff and the case was dismissed without prejudice. The plaintiff was paid a large sum of money by my insurance company.

I've been reading that "dismissed without prejudice" means the plaintiff can sue me again. Is this true, even though he technically "won" the case by getting the settlement money? Under what circumstances could he sue me again for the same accident? Let's say one day he finds out that I've become a filthy rich man and wants to squeeze some money out of me. Can he try to re-sue me? Is there a statute of limitations of so? Thank you.

ecmst12

No, they can't sue you again because when they accepted the settlement they signed a release agreeing not to. "Without prejudice" means that if the settlement had fallen through for whatever reason, they could have re-filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">