• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket By Camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Camerashy

I've just received 2 traffic tickets (Failure to stop by red lite) one after other by a week interval. My car was captured on film by a camera installed at the intersection. The notice to appear and a picture of my car and license plate showed my car in middle of intersection and the lite. The middle lite suppose to show it was red, but I can barely see red on the picture, the sun light washed out the red lite almost completely. The pedestrian red lite across the street on my direction suppose to show red,but I can't tell at all due to bad photo. The data imprinted on the photo indicated I was traveling at 40 mph. The data imprinted also indicated the red lite was on for .3 second.
This incident occurred in city of Laguna Niguel, Orange County, California. I believe this camera was installed reasonly less than a year old. The red light at the intersection did not appear to have a hood or lense to prevent harsh flare from sun lite.
My questions are:
1. Do I have the right to question my accuser in a traffic court ?

2. If I do, who or what is my accuser in this case ?

3. Can I file verified complaint, as IAAL has posted ?

4. Can I file a motion of discovery for the timing devive and accuracy of the camera ?

5. Do I have a chance to fight these tickets ?

Please help,
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Camerashy:
I've just received 2 traffic tickets (Failure to stop by red lite) one after other by a week interval. My car was captured on film by a camera installed at the intersection. The notice to appear and a picture of my car and license plate showed my car in middle of intersection and the lite. The middle lite suppose to show it was red, but I can barely see red on the picture, the sun light washed out the red lite almost completely. The pedestrian red lite across the street on my direction suppose to show red,but I can't tell at all due to bad photo. The data imprinted on the photo indicated I was traveling at 40 mph. The data imprinted also indicated the red lite was on for .3 second.
This incident occurred in city of Laguna Niguel, Orange County, California. I believe this camera was installed reasonly less than a year old. The red light at the intersection did not appear to have a hood or lense to prevent harsh flare from sun lite.
My questions are:

4. Can I file a motion of discovery for the timing devive and accuracy of the camera ?

Please help,
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You asked:

<<Absolutely. That's your Consitutional Right to confront all accusers.>>

<<That's the problem, under the Constitution. There is no accuser, which is why most cities and States have outlawed photo radar.>>

<<Yes, absolutely. Do Not Accept a "Notice to Appear" as a Governmental Complaint. You can copy the Motion, put in your specific information, and file the same with the court 10 days prior to your scheduled appearance. The court will rule from the Bench on your motion, and make its orders for further action.>>

<<Yes, however, the better route to take would be a Motion to Dismiss at time of trial, based on Constitutional grounds.>>

<<Yes, see below.>>

PROBLEMS WITH, AND GROUNDS FOR OBJECTION TO, "PHOTO ENFORCEMENT"

Inadequate notification of defendants

Most governments using photo enforcement notify defendants via first class mail. There is no reasonable guarantee that the person to whom the letter is addressed will actually get the letter, understand the letter nor know how to properly respond. However, the government makes the assumption that proper notification was achieved and the defendant is willingly ignoring the order to appear or pay. The result can be a warrant issued for the arrest of the person named on the ticket.

Failure to positively identify the driver of the vehicle.

Frequently, the photo does not adequately identify the driver of the offending vehicle. The owner of the vehicle is mailed the ticket, even though the owner was not driving the vehicle and in some instances may not know who was driving the vehicle. The owner of the vehicle is forced to prove his/her innocence, often by identifying the actual diver who may be a family member, friend or employee.

Failure to promptly notify defendant

Defendants may not receive citations until several days, sometimes weeks, after the alleged violation. This makes it extremely difficult to reconstruct the circumstances involved in the supposed violation. There may be circumstances that justified exceeding the speed limit or being in a controlled intersection under a red light. There may have been confounding factors that led to a photo being taken in error. Having traversed a given intersection or roadway dozens of times over a short time frame makes it almost impossible to recall the specific events of a two-week-old trip.

No certifiable witness to the violation

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it may take a thousand words to explain what the picture really means. Even in those instances where a photo enforcement operation is being overseen by a law enforcement officer, it is highly unlikely the officer would have any personal recollection of the supposed violation. For all practical purposes, there is no "accuser" for the defendant to confront, a Constitutional Right. Additionally, if asked, "Is that you in the Photo", you can object on the ground it is against your Constitutional Right against Self-Incrimination (5th Amendment).

There is no one that can personally testify to the circumstances of the alleged violation.

Because a camera unit was operating properly when it was set up does not mean it was operating properly when the picture was taken of any given vehicle.

System designed to inconvenience motorist

Under the guise of protecting motorist privacy, the court or private contractor handling defendant notification will not send a copy of the photo of the alleged violation to the vehicle owner. (Many of the photos do not clearly depict the driver, or the driver is not the vehicle owner.) The Vehicle owner is forced to travel to the courthouse to see the photograph, an obvious and deliberate inconvenience to discourage ticket challenges.

Simply put, justice delayed is justice denied . . .

Good luck to you, and please let us know how this matter turns out at each step of your quest for justice.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

C

camerashy

Hello IAAL,

I'm preparing motion to verify complaint for monday about 2 weeks before my court date. I'm also anticipating the judge's ruling after the DA has answered my motion. At this stage,I'll ask the judge to dismiss my case base on several grounds and objections that you had posted earlier.
I'm preparing to anticipate the judge's next move if in fact he denys part or all my objections and finds in favor of the DA's case against me.
If this is the case, what is my next move ? Can I appeal his decision ?
Can you suggest any action to delay or submit further motions ?

Thanks, IAAL.

I'm really trying hard here !!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camerashy:
Hello IAAL,

I'm preparing motion to verify complaint for monday about 2 weeks before my court date. I'm also anticipating the judge's ruling after the DA has answered my motion. At this stage,I'll ask the judge to dismiss my case base on several grounds and objections that you had posted earlier.
I'm preparing to anticipate the judge's next move if in fact he denys part or all my objections and finds in favor of the DA's case against me.
If this is the case, what is my next move ? Can I appeal his decision ?
Can you suggest any action to delay or submit further motions ?

Thanks, IAAL.

I'm really trying hard here !!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I know you're trying hard. You have to. No one said that protecting one's Constitutional Rights was an easy task. But, you have to fight, and fight hard. You've got to push harder than they push. The traffic judge or commissioner may deny your motion, only because they don't believe you'll take it any further. But, you must, in that event. If the judge denies either of your motions, you absolutely must ask for a written statement of decision. That written decision is necessary for your potential appeal. If you don't get the Statement of Decision, the appellate court will presume that the lower court's decision was a just decision, and deny your appeal.

Go get 'em, and win !!

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

C

Camerashy

Dear IAAL!

As I prepare to fight those ticket, I would like to ask you for some more informations before I go to the court.
In the information and instructions letter
sent to me by the San Juan Capistrano Police
Services (In Ca.), they gave me an option to
"Trial by written declaration ( Vehicle code
Section 40902)", where I may contest the citation in writing without making a court
appearance. What is your opinion about this?

Secondly, in the opening of the Verified Complaint, it said "on ,The accused signed
...". Since I never signed the citation in person, should the wording be modified to
reflect my particular situation?
And should I replace the case number with my
citation number?
Also, under the "date" and "time" line, what should I put on the "div." line?
Please dont feel iritated about me going back
and forth with so many questions. I simply want to be thourough before appearing in front of the judge. I promise to brief you in
details the outcome of the whole thing. Thank you again for all your inspiring informations.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Camerashy:
Dear IAAL!

As I prepare to fight those ticket, I would like to ask you for some more informations before I go to the court.
In the information and instructions letter
sent to me by the San Juan Capistrano Police
Services (In Ca.), they gave me an option to
"Trial by written declaration ( Vehicle code
Section 40902)", where I may contest the citation in writing without making a court
appearance. What is your opinion about this?

<<No, do not do that. That's the same as going to court on a Traffic Ticket. The purpose of the motion is to get the court to force the DA to file an actual "complaint" against you for the alleged "violations." So, you have to appear in court, so that a ruling can be made on the motion.>>

Secondly, in the opening of the Verified Complaint, it said "on ,The accused signed
...". Since I never signed the citation in person, should the wording be modified to
reflect my particular situation?

<<No, you have to sign the motion. This has nothing to do with signing a ticket, or not.>>

And should I replace the case number with my
citation number?

<<Yes.>>

Also, under the "date" and "time" line, what should I put on the "div." line?

<<If there is a "Division" Number of the court where you're supposed to appear, that's what goes there. If the court calls it the "Room" number, or whatever, as it says in the letters you received, that's what goes there. So, write what they show.>>

Please dont feel iritated about me going back
and forth with so many questions.

<<I'm not irritated with you. To the contrary, I want to know what you're doing, and how you're doing it, and what the outcome is.>>

I simply want to be thourough before appearing in front of the judge. I promise to brief you in details the outcome of the whole thing.

<<You better not be brief. I want to read each excruciating moment of the bloodbath you are going to encounter. Just playing.>>

Thank you again for all your inspiring informations.

<<You're welcome, and it's my pleasure.>>

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

C

camerashy

Dear IAAL!

Thank you so much for the replies. I've been
so encouraged since I discovered your help
thru this website. I didn't have any hope and
(was) prepared to hand all my money over to
them for nothing. With your infos, I found hope, and, boy, what's a relieve you helped
me getting from a relentless nagging wife. I
really, really appreciate all your helps,
IAAL. Although I am very nervous and feel insecured about the outcome, but I'm not gonna take this crap from them lying down.
Thank you for arming me with ammos to get thru this bloodbath with such a positive,
fighting spirit. Pls don't mind the name
calling jerk; you're good and helpful, and
everybody knows it.
One last question before the battle begins:
I have 2 tickets, one I have to appear on or
before 7/10/00; the other 7/14/00. Should I
do them both at the same time, or one at a time?
Also, just curious, with such promptness in
replying people's questions, where do you
find time for bathroom, or you just strap
yourself to a laptop permanently?
Take care, IAAL. And as you request, details
will be excrutiating. Good night!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camerashy:
Dear IAAL!

Thank you so much for the replies. I've been
so encouraged since I discovered your help
thru this website. I didn't have any hope and
(was) prepared to hand all my money over to
them for nothing. With your infos, I found hope, and, boy, what's a relieve you helped
me getting from a relentless nagging wife. I
really, really appreciate all your helps,
IAAL. Although I am very nervous and feel insecured about the outcome, but I'm not gonna take this crap from them lying down.
Thank you for arming me with ammos to get thru this bloodbath with such a positive,
fighting spirit. Pls don't mind the name
calling jerk; you're good and helpful, and
everybody knows it.
One last question before the battle begins:
I have 2 tickets, one I have to appear on or
before 7/10/00; the other 7/14/00. Should I
do them both at the same time, or one at a time?
Also, just curious, with such promptness in
replying people's questions, where do you
find time for bathroom, or you just strap
yourself to a laptop permanently?
Take care, IAAL. And as you request, details
will be excrutiating. Good night!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Thanks for the kind words. I sincerely hope this works for you, especially since your wife is "on the rampage" with you. Look at it this way, if it wasn't this, it would be something else - - am I right? I get the same from my wife.

Anyway, the gentleman was very disgruntled; but, it doesn't bother me. After 20 years of practice, my hide has been made tough and thick. He isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last person to be upset with me - - it comes with the territory.

Now, finally, since your appearances are so close together for both Tickets, write and file 2 motions; one for each Ticket. You'll need a filing fee for each motion, which is $23.00 per motion in California.

It's good to read that your spirits in this matter have been lifted with some hope. While there are no guarantees with the motions, at least you have a fighting chance at getting one, or even both tickets, dismissed. And, that's a chance you didn't have before.

Talk to you later, and I wish you all the good fortune, success, and best wishes I can send to you.

IAAL

------------------

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited June 22, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">