• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket --- Understanding the Court's Mentality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nrobi

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I realize every state could be different on the treatment of tickets but I think my question is universal. In MA you (well they) schedule an appointment for you to meet with a magistrate. There's usually a roomful of people that is divided among the 4 magistrates reviewing the traffic violations for that day.

The whole process takes usually < 1 minute once you get in the room.

I went through a stop sign because I didn't see it at night. There was no "Stop Ahead" sign, the road bent right just as you approach the rotary.... (yes a rotary with a stop sign)... so the reflective material never really caught any light from the headlights, AND, the cream on top, there was a small tree essentially blocking the entire sign as you approached prior to the bend. OH!!! lets not forget as you round the bend... because of my car's height... the sign is almost instantly blocked by the rear-view mirror.

My record is a mile long and I'm grateful they look at each case on its own. I had several pictures illustrating the points mentioned above... both in day and night.

The magistrate in a stern voice said several things at the end where I thought I was going to be charged guilty for sure, although he let me off.... never really saying it but just handing me over the paper as he continued reprimanding me. The ONE TIME I show up in court with legitimate reasons why I should not have the ticket I leave feeling like it was still my fault. Why?

There was no reasonable amount of time to see the sign. Rotaries (except for this one apparently) are yields. Traffic comes from the left. Why would I spend much time looking right... except for the reflective material to distract me... which caught no light and remained dark. They've been nicer to me when the violation is clearly my fault and let me go.

What's their thought process? I'm a little baffled by this and annoyed. Thanks.

ecmst12

You ran the stop sign. You should have been paying attention. You were probably speeding too. And they still let you off. Why are you complaining?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">