• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of title on auto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karen Lavon

My husband and I gave our 18 year old son a car as a gift. The title to the car is in my husband's and son's name together. My husband has signed the title over to our son. Our son has not put the title in his name and has now let the insurance lapse on the car. He continues to drive without insurance. We are now estranged with our son. Can we be held liable if he has an accident or causes injury to others? What can we do to get our name off the title to this car? We live in the state of Texas.

D

Don484

Title in your husbans name

If your husband signed the vehicle title over to your son in your sons name the signing should have been notarized that would make it legal and your son would be held responsible if you had to go to court.
You should contact the Taxes DMV and ask them about what you should do.
If the insurance is lapsed the Texas DMV may demand that the tag be sent in to them. I would not let this go very long because you could get into a lot of problems.
I am not a lawyer but i have seen this happen to a firend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">