• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Treble Damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tarheel1

I have been involved in an auto accident in North carolina, and am now dealing with a company out of florida. it is my understanding that civil law allows for treble (triple) damages in bodily injury cases in n.c. where can i find this in print, and does anyone else know whether or not this is correct?

[Edited by tarheel1 on 12-02-2000 at 12:43 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

There is no rule or law in this regard. Many years ago, it used to be a "benchmark" of sorts. However, with the evolution of insurance company regulations, and the laws themselves lending to other areas of claims, the "3 times medicals" rule-of-thumb has pretty much gone the way of the Dodo Bird - - it's extinct.

For example - - two people get into two different accidents, but both are rear-ended.

One innocent driver is 57 years old, retired, and sustains a broken wrist in the accident.

The other innocent driver is 33 years old, a computer programmer, and sustains soft tissue injuries.

Both of the above victims have spent 4,800.00 for their respective medical treatments.

Who's claim has more value? Should the "3 times medical expenses" rule-of-thumb be used for one, or both, or either? Or, should a settlement be fashioned like a glove to reflect the real-world facts of these victims?

Don't cheat yourself. See an attorney for a professional opinion and evaluation of your case, and its particular facts.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">