• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tree fell on my 3 of my family's car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bijou-MP5

What is the name of your state? GA

A tree fell on my 3 of my family's car at front of our apartment. Apt sent guy to cut the trees right now, but since today is sunday, nobody is workingn at office.
my question is that do we need to claim it to APT to get our cars to get fixed? or we just have to go through our insurance(closed for sunday)...
we don't know what to do right now.
your help is very appericiated.

bijou-MP5

teflon_jones said:
Whose property is the tree on? Why did it fall?
We live in a APT, so APT owns the property. tree fell due to mix of rain and snow. but it looks like tree was dying too. :(

teflon_jones

You should claim it through your own insurance and give them the contact info for whoever manages the apt complex. The apt complex is responsible for the damages, but you probably don't want to take the time to fight it out with their insurance company yourself. Let your insurance company handle it.

bijou-MP5

teflon_jones said:
You should claim it through your own insurance and give them the contact info for whoever manages the apt complex. The apt complex is responsible for the damages, but you probably don't want to take the time to fight it out with their insurance company yourself. Let your insurance company handle it.

:) wow thanks for the prompt reply and good tips

teflon_jones

bijou-MP5 said:
:) wow thanks for the prompt reply and good tips
You're welcome. You'll have to pay your deductible to get the cars fixed, but you'll be reimbursed for it once your insurance company settles up with the apt complex's insurance company. Make sure you point out to your insurance company that the tree was dying too, that could be important because it could indicate negligence on the part of the apt complex management company if it was apparent the tree posed a danger but they didn't do anything about it.

One disclaimer on my advice here though: Make sure your apt complex doesn't have a parking policy of "park at your own risk". If they do, you're out of luck and your insurance will have to pay for this. But even if they do, I'd still let your insurance company go after them because they might be able to find something legally wrong with the policy.

racer72

Unless someone at some point had notified the apartment management that the tree was a hazard prior to the tree falling over, you are not going to get squat. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Shall I go on? The only way you will receive any compensation is to prove negligence. It it the management's fault the tree fell over during an ice and snow storm. Somewhere someplace is a document, whether your rental agreement or the apartment's insurance policy is going to have the words "Act of God" or "Act of Nature" and this will be used against you. This is why most folks carry comprehensive insurance on their vehicles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">