• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trip and fall at health club

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

patstrong

I have been working out at the same gym for 10 years. The club closes at 11:00 p.m. One night last week, when I was working out late, I was getting ready to leave the weight room when the lights were shut off at 10:55 p.m. causing me to trip over a dumbbell and injure my shoulder. I went to the doctor and I'm now in physical therapy. I did make a report that night at the club. The girl I talked to at the desk when making my report said she was sorry. After speaking to the manager the next day, he told me that they probably wanted to hurry people up to leave. I did tape some conversation with the manager and have some admission of guilt. After I was contacted by their headquarters, now their story has changed, now they say they flickered the light for a second. I obviously want them to take care of my medical bills and pain and suffering as my shoulder shows no sign of healing soon. What is my next course of action? Also, what dollar amount would be reasonable? I keep thinking about the lady that spilled hot coffee on herself and got a million dollars, how do you put a price on pain and suffering? In Indiana.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

The lady who spilled hot coffee on herself had serious burns, not just inconvenience.

You don't put a price tag on it. You essentially ask for specific damages which are doctor's bills and the like, and then seek general damages as the court deems fit for pain and suffering. To do this properly, you should hire a personal injury attorney who (and most do) have experience with typical trip and fall accidents based on employee negligence and premises liability (i.e. dark, dumbells on ground, too early to shut anything off).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">