• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

turn from right lane or farthest right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lymankim

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I was in the far right lane of a 3 lane road turning right. When the light turned green, I turned right only to hit a car that had been even further to the right next to the curb (where one would park). I thought the other car was stopped since it was on the curb and not in a marked lane, which is also why I was to the left of it instead of behind it. The particular stretch it was in was actually designated as a bus lane for a bus stop and right before the bus lane started there was also a fire hydrant on the sidewalk. I was issued a ticket for "improper lane usage", with the policeman stating that the rule is that you are supposed to pull as far to the right as possible when making a right hand turn. I have looked through the Louisiana DMV driving manual and it does not state this anywhere I can see. The one picture instructing on how to make a right hand turn actually shows a car in the lane with the "curb space" open (which is where the other car wold have been). Can anyone tell me where I might find more specifics to fight my ticket citing either pulling into a bus lane, stopping in front of a fire hydrant (with driver at wheel), or the elusive "far right" rule for turning right. Let me reiterate that I was not trying to turn ahead and cut off the other vehicle. I was surprised to hit anything since I had no idea they were going to pull ahead and turn right.

xylene

There is a device on cars that makes this REAL easy.

Above the mason dixon line we use em all the time.

Its called the turn signal.

Poster. Was your turn signal engaged at the time?

PS if the answer is NO, than the answer is YOUR FAULT.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Turn signal usage or mis-usage has never, in my experience, been cited as the cause of an accident. It's not really a factor in determining fault. It is improper for a driver to assume they know what another driver is going to do because of a signal being on or not - watch where the car is actually GOING.

lymankim

turn signal

My turn signal was on and though I can't say 100%, I believe the other car's wasn't, which is why I did not think they were turning right, but sitting instead at the curb, (and my reason for going beside them and ahead instead of behind them.)

PS I would hope that alluding to the Mason-Dixon Line as the point at which those above it know how to use turn signals, and those below don't was purely stated in humor. By the way, those below the Mason-Dixon Line know that proper nouns are capitalized (pure humor of course.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was your lane a right-turn only lane? If not, you are at fault.

EDIT: THIS MAY NOT BE 100% ACCURATE, AS IT'S STATE SPECIFIC - SORRY.

Last edited:

ecmst12

If the other car was in a legal lane of travel, you are at fault. If he was in the shoulder/parking lane, then (IMO at least) you are not at fault.

Zigner

If the other car was in a legal lane of travel, you are at fault. If he was in the shoulder/parking lane, then (IMO at least) you are not at fault.
Please provide a citation (not meant sarcastically - this is state-specific)

ecmst12

I don't have one, which is why I said IMO. I don't see, logically, how a vehicle NOT in a legal lane of travel can not be at fault for hitting/being hit by a vehicle IN a legal lane of travel. I know laws can be weird and I could be wrong, but it makes no sense to my brain.

Zigner

I don't have one, which is why I said IMO. I don't see, logically, how a vehicle NOT in a legal lane of travel can not be at fault for hitting/being hit by a vehicle IN a legal lane of travel. I know laws can be weird and I could be wrong, but it makes no sense to my brain.
In California, the OP would be at fault (in the currently described scenario). This is NOT a California thread...that is why I said it's state specific.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">