• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two Deductibles?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinasharp

What is the name of your state?MO

Here's my situation. I am married and we have four vehicles. We insure all of our vehicles through Progressive. Progressive separates their policies into three catagories: Personal, Motorcycle, and Commerical. We have the following coverage on different polices through them:

Personal: car and truck
Motorcyle: motorcycle
Commerial: husband's work truck

I was leaving for work and backed my car (personal policy) into my husband's work truck (commerical policy). Both vehicles have damage.

Progessive say's we have to pay a deductible for each vehicle because they are two separate claims the way our personal policy reads:

They will not pay for damage to personal property unless it is a "covered vehicle". They define covered vehicle as any vehicle on the declaration page with the exception that they will cover other vehicles as long as they insure all vehicles owned and the vehicle is not covered by any other policy. The part about not being covered by any other policy is the loop hole for them. The truck is covered by another policy (the commerical policy). I think this isn't fair because they would pay for the truck if it was on the same policy but they will not insure it on the same policy because it is a dually which they consider to be a commerical vehicle. I will have two claims against me. I believe the only reason my husband should have to pay his deductible is if he is responsible (which he isn't) or if he is hit by someone that doesn't have insurance (which I do). Is there anyway that we can avoid the two dedectibles? Please help, they won't budge.

stephenk

you can avoid the double deductible by having your husband make the claim for his work truck against the policy that covers the car you were driving. You then make your claim for the car damage on the same policy and pay your deductible.

tinasharp

What Progressive is saying is that the policy that covers my car will not cover my husband's work truck, therefore he cannot make a claim against that policy. The reason they gave me is that my policy doesn't cover damage to my personal property unless it is a covered vehicle. They say it is not a covered vehicle because it is not on the declaration page because it is a commerical vehicle and on the commerical policy. It doesn't make sense to me!

JETX

stephenk said:
you can avoid the double deductible by having your husband make the claim for his work truck against the policy that covers the car you were driving. You then make your claim for the car damage on the same policy and pay your deductible.
Wow!!! If it only worked that way!!

acmb05

JETX said:
Wow!!! If it only worked that way!!
I believe I stsated this before on another post but I will say it again. I only have one word for you, PROGRESSIVE. without a dought the worst insurance company on the planet.

xylene

tinasharp said:
I was leaving for work and backed my car (personal policy) into my husband's work truck (commerical policy). Both vehicles have damage.
How did you do so much damage when you were just backing out?

Is the amount of damage really so much that it is worth filing a claim on?

Lets not just think about the dedudctible, but the long term costs of those claims on future premiums.

Unless you did a tremendous amount of damage, which if you did it while backing out of your driveway... which should be done carefully and safely....

Well if you couldn't avoid your husbands gas-hogin dually, well just feel lucky you didn't hit a child.

acmb05

tinasharp said:
What is the name of your state?MO

Here's my situation. I am married and we have four vehicles. We insure all of our vehicles through Progressive. Progressive separates their policies into three catagories: Personal, Motorcycle, and Commerical. We have the following coverage on different polices through them:

Personal: car and truck
Motorcyle: motorcycle
Commerial: husband's work truck

Progessive say's we have to pay a deductible for each vehicle because they are two separate claims the way our personal policy reads:

They will not pay for damage to personal property unless it is a "covered vehicle". They define covered vehicle as any vehicle on the declaration page with the exception that they will cover other vehicles as long as they insure all vehicles owned and the vehicle is not covered by any other policy. The part about not being covered by any other policy is the loop hole for them. The truck is covered by another policy (the commerical policy). I think this isn't fair because they would pay for the truck if it was on the same policy but they will not insure it on the same policy because it is a dually which they consider to be a commerical vehicle. I will have two claims against me. I believe the only reason my husband should have to pay his deductible is if he is responsible (which he isn't) or if he is hit by someone that doesn't have insurance (which I do). Is there anyway that we can avoid the two dedectibles? Please help, they won't budge.
Which is precisely why they write thier policies that way. It creates loopholes for them to walk thru.

tinasharp

I didn't do so much damage.... my car has a busted tail light and scratches on the paint ($900) and my husbands truck had a mirror knocked off the truck and scratches on the paint ($1400). I called Progressive cause we figured the damages would all together be a couple of thousand with one deductible. I already filed the claim against my car because at the time I had no idea about the two deductibles. At this point I have not accepted the $400 check from them (900-500ded) for my car and have not filed a claim against my husbands policy. Going forward what would be my best option? Should we just pay out of pocket to avoid raised premiums? We would only be getting $1300 and I would have two at fault claims against me. Or should I go ahead and take the $400 check and not worry about the truck? What if I don't take any money for the claim I already made, will it still raise my rates?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">