• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UK family injured in Florida HELP please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

despair

What is the name of your state? Florida

Daughter and her husband and 4 children were hit head on in May 2005 right outside Disney World when they were on a 3 week holiday

The at fault driver had driven too fast around a bend in heavy rain and crossed the centre line smashing head on into my familys 8 seater Van rental from Hertz
At fault driver was given a careless driving citation which is merely a $113 fine ( 6 months in prison in the UK )

Thankfully the chldren are recovered and her husband is nearly recovered

However my daughter took the brunt of the accident which reactivated a pelvic problem she had during pregnancy and also triggered a serious spine condition which no one knew she even had

She was taken to hospital by ambulance and made to wait 5 hours before being seen while the at fault driver was treated for minor injuries first !!!

Result is she has been unable to work or care for her family , has lost the business she built up over 7 yrs ,has spent 3 weeks in intensive rehab to be partly mobile again and is on heavy painkillers inc morphine derivatives

Her $10K PIP from Hertz is exhausted and she has had to borrow $30K from us just to pay medical bills etc

At fault driver only had $50k per person BIL (100K per accident)

Hence USA lawyers will not take the case because they also know that Florida Insurance Cos are exceptionally difficult with anyone from overseas especially when they know your injuries mean you cant fly back for depositions

The Insurance Co have changed adjusters 3 times the latest one is a *******
They are even refusing to pay for an $8 International phone card for the phone call to my daughters travel insurers along with the $13 taxi fare from the hospital back to Hertz depot

They are also insisting that they are only considering a claim for "aggravation of pre existing condition" and that they see no reason why my daughter cant work since she merely sits at a desk !!!!!!

Daughter is unable to sit comfortably anywhere for more than a few minutes ,can barely walk and is in pain from head to toe

She has been told she now has a lifelong severe back problem and will never be able to do what she did before
May need spinal fusion although theres huge evidence that the pain could be just as bad even after an op

We need help desperately as the Insurance Co and Floridas ghastly No Fault Law means our daughter and family can starve for all they care

The at fault driver has a new car and sure as heck wont be worrying about Christmas and 4 children

teflon_jones

You need to contact a lawyer in Florida specializing in personal injury. Your case is too serious to handle yourself or to expect the answers you need on an internet forum.

despair

teflon_jones said:
You need to contact a lawyer in Florida specializing in personal injury. Your case is too serious to handle yourself or to expect the answers you need on an internet forum.

Already contacted heaven knows how many lawyers in Florida

THEY WILL NOT HANDLE STUFF FOR clients from UK/Europe

The Insurance Companies have stitched up everyone from outside the USA because they will insist you appear in court 3 times firstly for deposition

then beyond

Daughter is not allowed to fly and cant afford the airfare never mind sit on a plane for 8 hours

She will have to sell her house the way things are going

Florida No Fault Law is a total disgrace

Gadfly

There are plenty of great PL attorneys in Orlando. I'm sure you can find one. How about your personal insurance does it cover you or was the Hertz the only insurance you have.

For future refernece, my auto insurance covers me regardless of whose vehicle I am in and regardless of what they tell you at the counter you do NOT have to take their insurance if you are already covered under another policy.

despair

Sorry but UK car insurance does not cover you in any way when you hire a car in another country
If you rent a car in the USA the ONLY insurance you can get is the $10,000 PIP cover **************...yes it includes UIM etc but that does not come into play until the BIL cover of the at fault party is exhausted

your travel insurance will pay for medical treatment while you are on holiday BUT NOT when you return to your home country

Same situation applies if USA folk visit the UK or outside of the USA

The difference is that with car rental or car insurance in the UK the at fault drivers insurance company will make interim payments so you do not suffer financial loss of paying medical bills or the loss of earnings

I spent 2 weeks in Orlando phoning every lawyer i could trying to get them to take the case **************.they all refused because we are UK citizens and because theres not enough in it for them due to the $50K BIL limit on the at fault drivers policy

Sounds like i have learnt more about Florida linsurance etc than you know

If anyone knows a TRUSTWORTHY lawyer in Orlando please let me know

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">