• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Un insured, need help ; [california]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cintyram

What is the name of your state? california

hi,
on 24 dec, unfortunately i was involved in a car accidednt;
here are the details:
1. i rented a car from budget; i asked them to provide me with the basic insurance required by law; they said i had to buy the CDW [$9.00] option;
they did not ask me if i had any other insurance or not;
i understood it as they sold me the one required by law;
i paid for it by a visa platinum select card;
when i spoke to their help desk person i understood what he said meant that i should decline the supplimentary insurance that the rental people offer for the credit card's insurance to kick in;

i DID NOT WANT TO DRIBVE WITHOUT INSURANCE, INFACT I WANTED TO BUY ALL THE REQUIRED INSURANCE, but ended up not having any insurance cover because of misunderstanding on my part or carelessness by the rental person;
since three other cars were involved, and one of them is an expensive import, i dont know what to do now;

kindly advice, or tell me what might happen next; also if any one else has been , or knows some one ,in a similar situation please share your experience . Thank you very much
cheers
ram

Who's Liable?

My GF works for Enterprise, os the following advice is for them, but it might not differ very much...

In California, your peresonal auto insurance is the primary, while the rental insurance is the secondary. Meaning that if the monetary amount exceeds your insurance, the rental insurance will kick in for the remainder, up to their limit...

Since you did not purchase the rental insurance(whatever reason it might be) you will be helf responsible for the accident if it is deemed your fault by the police report...

cintyram

hi,
thanks for the reply;
so what do you think will happen next?
i dont have normal auto insurance.. as i did not buy a car yet;
i have only cdw from teh rental and the credit card;
i dont have the money to pay them out ;
what can i do now?
cheers
ram

Happy Trails

cintyram said:
hi,
thanks for the reply;
so what do you think will happen next?
i dont have normal auto insurance.. as i did not buy a car yet;
i have only cdw from teh rental and the credit card;
i dont have the money to pay them out ;
what can i do now?
cheers
ram
Just as the previous poster stated, if you are found to blame or a percentage to blame, then you will be liable for the amount of damages that you have been found at-fault for.

You may not have any money, but this will not stop them from trying to recover the expenses from you in other ways. (wage garnishment, liens on property, etc...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">