• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to contact other party responsible for accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tenn39

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Last month I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear in order to make a left hand turn when I was hit on right rear side bumper. Because of other traffic I pulled to side of road. After officer arrived the other driver told him it was my fault, that I had veered into her lane and hit her. I filed a claim with my insurance company - they said they would contact other driver and get insurance info and her statement as to what happened. I did not get her insurance info because she was very hateful and walked away from me. Since then my insurance company has not been able to reach her. They have sent a certified letter to her and said if they did not hear from her in 7-10 days they would make a decision regarding the accident. I have not heard anything from her company even though she stated I was at fault. How will my company make a decision regarding this accident? Can they determine it was my fault and pay the claim.....if so, will I have an at-fault on my record? If so, even though I have filed a claim, could I pay for the damages and it be regarded as a claim without any money paid out and not hold it against me and raise my premiums?

Thanks for your help.

tenn39 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Last month I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear in order to make a left hand turn when I was hit on right rear side bumper. Because of other traffic I pulled to side of road. After officer arrived the other driver told him it was my fault, that I had veered into her lane and hit her. I filed a claim with my insurance company - they said they would contact other driver and get insurance info and her statement as to what happened. I did not get her insurance info because she was very hateful and walked away from me. Since then my insurance company has not been able to reach her. They have sent a certified letter to her and said if they did not hear from her in 7-10 days they would make a decision regarding the accident. I have not heard anything from her company even though she stated I was at fault. How will my company make a decision regarding this accident? Can they determine it was my fault and pay the claim.....if so, will I have an at-fault on my record? If so, even though I have filed a claim, could I pay for the damages and it be regarded as a claim without any money paid out and not hold it against me and raise my premiums?

Thanks for your help.
I have no idea what your insurance company is going to conclude regarding the accident. Since a police report was filed, what does it say?

Once you open a claim, regardless of whether or not money is paid, it can be held against you. Also, if you are receiving a loss-free discount, you will lose that as well.

tenn39

Thanks for the response.

The police report said no fault could be determined.

Can insurance co. hold me 100% at-fault if they are unable to get a response from other party or would they hold me 50% at fault....

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">