• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Use of Motor Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Strangebrew

I live in Amite, Louisiana. The incident occurred in New Orleans, Louisiana. My son borrowed my car to go on job interview. He got the job. Went to another person's house in New Orleans to celebrate. Someone there asked him to give him lift to store to buy a pack of smokes. He didn't feel like driving because he had been drinking and wanted to sleep it off before coming home. My idiotic, trusting son gave the keys to the guy to go himself. Guy never came back. Called the New Orleans Police Department. Listed the incident as Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle. It is a week later now. Car has still not shown up. I have called New Orleans Police Dept. to see if they would change the report to read "Stolen" because obviously the guy is not returning my car. For the past week, my family and friends have looked in the area and surrounding areas for the car. No one has spotted it or the guy that took it. The N. O. Police Dept. told me they can not alter the report and the vehicle remains as Unauthorized Use even though a week has past. I do not understand this. I have read my auto insurance policy and all it relates is what they do for vehicles that are stolen. What I need to know is if what New Orleans is doing is proper? I called Jefferson Parish, right next door to Orleans, and was told after 72 hours the car would be considered stolen. Also, I need to know if auto insurance polices consider unauthorized use as part of their coverage for autos that are stolen? I am in a dilema here. I know you are suppose to report a car incident immediately, but we were waiting to see if it would show up. Now, I don't know if the auto insurance company will consider it as "stolen" because my son gave the guy the keys. I just can't understand why one parish in Louisiana after a certain length of time would consider it stolen and not another. Would appreciate any comments anyone may have.
Thanks
Nancy Brown

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Please help us to help you. It appears that your post is quite lengthy. Since we want to help you, it would be appreciated, and in your interest, if you could re-write your post to shorten its length.

Some suggestions would be to remove any extra words that do not go to the heart of your question and issues. Also, if you have any emotional or editorial type words or phrases, please remove those also. In other words, be your own worst critic, and stick to the facts.

Additionally, if you haven't already done so, please use paragraphs rather than running each sentence into the next. This, alone would make your post easier to read and understand.

Thank you for your kind cooperation, and I'm sure, after you've re-posted, someone will be with you shortly to assist you.

Thanks,
IAAL

P.S. If you haven't mentioned your State name, or the State where your problem has occurred, please tell us in your first sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">