• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized use of vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thebee

What is the name of your state? va
My just turned 15 year old son, waited untill I went to sleep and took my car out. He lost control and hit a tree flipping the car. He was not hurt. I was so angry, the police only charged him with failure to maintain and no license, I added unauthorized use. Now, I am regretting that and might want to drop the charges but don't know if I can, if I can't what will happen to him?

HomeGuru

thebee said:
What is the name of your state? va
My just turned 15 year old son, waited untill I went to sleep and took my car out. He lost control and hit a tree flipping the car. He was not hurt. I was so angry, the police only charged him with failure to maintain and no license, I added unauthorized use. Now, I am regretting that and might want to drop the charges but don't know if I can, if I can't what will happen to him?
**A: don't do him any favors. He needs to be taught a lesson.

C

coosi

I agree with HG. Let him take the full consequences of his actions NOW, before he turns 18. I would work with the authorities to make sure he learns his lesson. Additionally, I would make him work and pay for ALL damages. If he's tired enough, he won't be up at night when you're asleep!

What if he had killed someone?!

ps
Don't look back...look forward.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">