• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underinsured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kirkster365

What is the name of your state? California
I was in a motorcycle accident and the insurance company of the other driver wants to settle up for the max of the drivers policy, 15k. The only problem with this is that I have lost wages, owe to the hospital and future problems with the broken leg I suffered in the accident. I asked a few questions in the traffic laws forum and they said try elsewhere in the forums for answers on underinsured drivers. So my hand is up and I'm asking "what should I do next?" anyone that can help, I thank you in advance.

ecmst12

If you have underinsured motorist coverage on your own policy, you can use that.

If not, you can try to sue the other driver for the full amount you want regardless of policy limits but unless he has assets you might never collect (even if you win) and it will cost you more money in the future. So it might be best for you to just settle for the 15k.

moburkes

ALWAYS carry LOTS of uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage (which means you'll have to carry lots of liability coverage) when you ride a motorcycle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">