• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underinsured defendant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Thankful

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Three years ago a car hit my car as I was making a left turn, it was at night, I never saw any head lights or the car as it approach me. unfortunately the plaintiff car head lights were broken and the entire front end was mashed in on impact. I believe either the car had only one head light working or the lights were not turn on at all, so I have no proof. I received the traffic ticket for failure to yield. The cop mentioned to me that he may have been traveling at a high rate of speed, but I am still at fault. The only thing I know is that he suffered a broken knee cap from the accident. His insurance company settle with him for 50,000 this past fall for his personnel injuries. My insurance company paid his insurance company 25,000 which is the maximum my policy would pay out. His insurer is now suing me for the rest. What would be the best strategy, to settle out of court or allow a jury to decide the amount. I just believe the amount is to high. As I remember immediately after the accident I got out of my car to walk to his car, as he set in the wrecked car he did complain about his leg, I an not a doctor, but I witness no injuries that warranted a 50,000 settlement. What are my chances of lowering the settlement amount for this case.
:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">