• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underinsured in florida being sued by major insuurance company..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hcktmmy

underinsured being sued in florida.

my husband and i who reside in palm beach county, florida were just served summons' for accident in 11/97 in palm beach county, florida in which my husband was at fault. other driver was injured and hospitalized on workers compensation. despite this, state farm insurance (other driver's insurance carrier) was sued by him i believe because we did not carry bodily injury coverage on our policy. what are the consequenses of ignoring the summons and what are our rights if we answer the summons? also does the fact that workers compensation paid his medical bills have any significance? Thank you.

[Edited by hcktmmy on 03-26-2001 at 10:21 PM]

If you fail to answer the summons with-in 20 days the other side will receive a default judgment against you. Most likely, what ever they are asking for will be granted. Florida is a debtor state and if you go to court as you should you can work out a deal for a payment plan.

Also, if you had no property damage coverage you weren't under-insured you were un-insured. Minimum required limits in FL are 10/20K PD with 10K PIP.

Under FL law what ever the other party recovers from you must first go to re-imbursing the Workers Comp carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">