• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underinsured Motorist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goblin24

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

In 2002 in Saint Louis, I got a DWI / 2nd degree assault charge against me. My friend was injured in an accident, but did not press charges but the state picked up the charges against me. I made it through probation and never got convicted.

My insurance company paid out the max to him in the accident ($25k) but he required a little more for the damages, and he pusued his insurance company for underinsured motorist and was awarded a certain amount.

Can his insuarnce company come back after me for the payout for underinsured motorist coverage?
What is the statute of limitations for this and property damage since it happened in 2002?

Thanks

seniorjudge

Q: Can his insuarnce company come back after me for the payout for underinsured motorist coverage?

A: Yes.

Q: What is the statute of limitations for this and property damage since it happened in 2002?

A: GENERALLY, it is five years. But there is not enough information in your post to tell when the statute started running. And, besides, if you are not in Missouri, then the statute does not run (it only runs when you are in the jurisdiction).

goblin24

I just moved to NJ, so it is possible that this has passed already. When does the statute start running, when the settlement is reached? Do insurance companies usually wait till the last minute to follow up on something like this? Do they usually pursue this kind of case, I think it was $25k that he got from underinsured mototrist

seniorjudge

GENERALLY the SOL starts running at the time of the loss (meaning at the moment the wreck happened).

I have no idea what insurance companies "usually" do; I've never noticed them doing anything "usually".

goblin24

Thanks for your advice. I was worth very little back as I was 21 years old then so maybe they did not pursue the money from me. I was charged but completed my SIS, so does this mean it is off my record and noone can access it?

Thanks

goblin24

My lawyer said that unless I am trying to get a security clearance of some kind, that no employer could access the information, but I guess he was being a typical lawyer when he said that.

seniorjudge

My lawyer said that unless I am trying to get a security clearance of some kind, that no employer could access the information, but I guess he was being a typical lawyer when he said that.
He was telling you the truth.

Here's your question that I answered: I was charged but completed my SIS, so does this mean it is off my record and noone can access it?

goblin24

touch`e. Regardless he did a nice job for me even though I paid him $10K, so I am not complaining. I definetely do not want to be sued for the underinsured motorist coverage for something that happened 6 years ago

seniorjudge

touch`e. Regardless he did a nice job for me even though I paid him $10K, so I am not complaining. I definetely do not want to be sued for the underinsured motorist coverage for something that happened 6 years ago
If you ask me if the sun is shining and I say yes, then don't say, "Wrong! Apples can be green!"

ecmst12

My info says the SOL to file a UM/UIM claim is 10 years in MO. I'm not sure how that interacts with the 5 year statute for PD and BI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">