• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

understanding no fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Manda421

TO: I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

i don't understand this no fault. i've tried to research this subject, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot on delaware. i have avoided some of the dr. appt's i need, due to the fact some don't except the car accident ins., and require me to pay up front. since i'm unable to work, this is becoming quite a strain. i will do the work if you could point me in the right direction.
also, could you tell me if i'm obligated to stay with my attorney, or if i'm free to search elsewhere, or just go without one? any info would be of help
thank you in delaware

M

Manda421

PLEASE, will you just point me in the right direction? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Where is your attorney ?

Did you only have the State minimum of $15,000.00 ? Have you read your Policy and your Declarations Page ?

Some states, like Delaware, have "no-fault" laws, meaning your auto policy must pay for bodily injury and property damages regardless of who caused the accident. For example, it's often difficult to figure out who caused a multi-vehicle collision. The laws were enacted to keep insurance costs down and to expedite the claims-paying process.
No-fault laws also say you can't sue another party unless the damages and medical bills are above a certain amount, which varies by state.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 05-14-2001 at 10:45 PM]

M

Manda421

the attorney is in Georgetown,DE he moved about an hour away from here. yes, i have the minimum, but what about the lady who ran the red light, what if hers is higher? i have been told so may things, and even though i'm sure they all have my best interests in mind, it's getting way to confusing. one avenue i would like to look into is submitting the bills to an ins. commissioner, think that would net any results? or is it true, i can file a civil law suit? i thought if i could just find someone who's been in my situation i would have my answers, but out of the 78 people i've talked to, not one of them took a loss out of their pocket. the lawyer is getting a large chunk, the dr.'s are getting large chunk, as well as they should, while i'm taking a loss. i don't understand why i needed to get a lawyer, i could've taken a loss without his help. please don't misunderstand me, i am not a greedy person, and i don't care about making a profit, i would just like to be where i was before the accident, but without the pain.
i'm sorry, i didn't see the rest of your post below the other 2 sentences, our medical bills are about $250,000 total. my daughters are about $75,000 and the rest is mine. my daughter should finish up p.t. this week, but i will probably need surgery on my back and i will still be seing dr.'s for some time.

[Edited by Manda421 on 05-14-2001 at 10:59 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes, it would appear that your damages are WAY above the minimum necessary to file suit against the other driver. You should never have purchased State minimum limits. That's one of the reasons you're in the "fix" you're in now. All of this could have been paid for if you had at least $500,000.00 coverage. When you think about it, what does $15,000.00 buy nowadays ? That, and a dime, won't get you a cup of coffee.

Please, call and speak with your attorney A.S.A.P. Get his thoughts on the matter. And, if you are unable to reach him, get to another personal injury attorney immediately, and have your new attorney handle this matter - - someone who's much closer to where you live.

DO IT TOMORROW !

IAAL

M

Manda421

also, i recently received a letter from my medical ins. that they will not pay some of the bills because my back is considered a chronic problem, with no marked improvement. well duh.....i was in an accident doing 55mph, by a lady who ran a red light. the bill their denying is for 3 months feb. through april., which doesn't seem real long to me for a back problem. what's gonna happen if i do need the surgery? don't answer that.
thanks for the input about voting against no fault, i already have learned more from this misfortune then i ever wanted to.

M

Manda421

thanks I AM! as a matter of fact, i have a phone consultation with my attorney tomorrow. any last suggestions will be appreciated. or if u could tell me if there's anything on this site that i can look up, to better understand this information would be great. so i can at least understand a little about what i'm talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">