• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Undisclosed damage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dmband_4136

I purchased a used 2005 Nissan Titan from a reputable dealer in Maine back in 2008. I have since decided to buy/lease another vehicle. I tried to trade in my truck at a dealer who runs a Carfax on all the vehicles they may take in trade, surprise the truck was is an accident I had no idea about. The accident was prior to me purchasing the truck. I referred to my paperwork from the sale and I can find no mention of prior damage to the vehicle. The “Used Vehicle Buyer’s Guide” that by law in the state of Maine must be posted on the vehicle says NONE in the comment stating “Prior Substantial Damage to Body or Engine if any Known”. I obtained the police report for the accident and the estimated damage to the truck is $7500 and the owner listed is the DEALER from which I bought the truck. I called the service department and the used car manager and inquired about it, the service department has no records of any repair (or so they claim) and the used car manager said the dealership had no knowledge of the damage or any record of repair and that the previous owner must have failed to disclose it. So I went higher up the chain and spoke with the president of the dealership. I explained to him the situation and all the previous conversations I had with his staff. The president did his own research and this is what he found. The truck was in fact owned by his dealership at the time off the accident, the truck was repaired at a total cost of $3891.16 (the frame had to be pulled as a result of the accident), and the disclosure of the accident was over looked because the truck came from a sister dealership when it closed. We spoke time and time again over a three week period allowing him time to gather the info he needed and we have shared info and been up front with each other. I just got off the phone with him and he offered me $2000 for the trouble. Is this fair or should I pursue legal council.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dmcc10880

A reputable dealer would at the very least give you today's fair market value for the truck. If it's $2000, then take it. If not, demand it. If you do not get what you demand, then hire a lawyer.

Also a reputable dealer would not want any bad publicity and would give you a skinny deal on one of the vehicles on his lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">